Pioneers advance to playoffs

Matthew Seimer, Editor-in-Chief

The Jonathan Alder football team finished their regular season on Friday, October 28 with a victory against their conference rivals from Fairbanks. Despite that the final margin of victory sat at just 14 points, the Pioneers manhandled the Panthers for much of the game. Alder headed to the locker room for halftime, ahead of the Panthers 35 to 7. Their offense was headed by touchdown receptions from junior quarterback Preston Eisnaugle to senior fullback Hunter Maynard and junior receiver Dalton Potts.

Rushing touchdowns from junior running back Jamie Dye and senior fullback Austin Fooce, who ended the first half by bulldozing the Panther’s defense for his second score of the game, also added to Alder’s offensive production. Dye would finish the game with over 160 yards rushing in little of two quarters of playtime.

Alder then came out of halftime and scored on their ensuing drive. After a defensive stop and an offensive first down, Alder’s coaching staff took out the starting squads and the backups took the field. The matchup ended at a score of 42 to 28. Fairbanks ends their season with a 2-win and 8-loss record. The Pioneers advance to the state playoffs where they will face the 7 and 3 Hawks of Bishop Hartley High School in the first round. Alder’s second straight playoff appearance will take place at home on November 4 at 7 PM.