Hicks shatters record as Alder’s success continues

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

This past Saturday, the boys and girls cross country teams made their way to the McGowan Invitational, home of the central district finals race later this season.

Unlike the week before, the weather was unimaginably beautiful for a cross country meet.

The girls team followed up an impressive meet at Westerville with yet another great week, again missing the team’s usual fifth and sixth runner.

Freshman Morgan Hicks made Jonathan Alder history on Saturday, becoming the first girl to ever run an 18 minute 5K. Hicks placed 3rd and ran an 18:48. Hicks replaces graduate Aziza Ayoub’s previous record.

Hicks spoke on her performance following Saturday’s meet. She said, “I didn’t start the race thinking I was going to break 19. I just went out, ran as hard as I could, and knew that I was prepared for what was to come.“

Behind Hicks, junior Ashlyn McDaniel became only the fifth girl in Alder history to run a 19 minute 5K, running a 19:57 and placing 10th. Freshman Maddie Davis and Avery Pierce followed, placing 11th and 22nd respectively. The girls placed 3rd overall out of 24 teams.

On the boys side, another monumental feat was accomplished. For the first time in Alder history, multiple runners ran faster than a 17:00. However, not only two runners did so, but three.

Sophomores Luke Malone and Gavin Frick and senior Jase Headings all busted into the 16:00’s on Saturday. Malone placed 11th and ran a 16:39, Headings placed 21st and ran a 16:50, and Frick placed 25th and ran a 16:54.

Sophomores Zach Hicks and Michael Gray rounded out the top five placing 55th and 71st respectively. Along with the two, freshman Brady Corbitt improved on his time by more than 80 seconds.

The boys team placed 5th in a competitive field of 28.

The teams run next at the Galion XC Festival on Saturday, September 16.