Boys Cross Country wins first Conference Championship

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

For years now, the Boys Cross Country banner in Jonathan Alder’s gymnasium has been nearly lifeless, with one single feat in the team’s history. That was nearly three decades ago.

In their first year in the Central Buckeye Conference, the Jonathan Alder Boys team looked to win their first ever Conference Championship.

Sophomore Luke Malone led the team, placing 2nd, running a 16:29. Sophomore Gavin Frick followed, placing 4th, running a 16:52. Senior Jase Headings and sophomore Michael Gray joined the two on the Conference’s First team, placing 5th and 7th respectively.

Sophomore Zach Hicks and freshman Brady Corbitt were both named to the Conference Second team.

The Boys Cross Country team placed first and won their first ever Conference Championship, scoring only 30 points! Springfield Shawnee placed second, scoring a 39.

The Girls Cross Country team entered Saturday, looking to win their second Conference Championship in three years.

Freshman Maddie Davis led the team on Saturday, running a 19:22, placing 2nd. Junior Ashlyn McDaniel followed, placing 3rd. Freshman Morgan Hicks placed 5th. All three were named to the Conference’s First team.

Freshman Avery Hecht and senior Lexi Thorpe were both named to the Conference Second team.

Despite their efforts, the Girls Cross Country team came up six points short to Springfield Shawnee.

The Boys and Girls Cross Country teams now enter the postseason, hoping to extend their seasons at least another week at the District Championship meet on Saturday.