Ron Thomas Sr. Invitational

Olivia Johnson, School News Reporter

On Saturday, January 20, the Jonathan Alder wrestling team collided with ten other teams at home. Among those teams were schools such as Bexley, West Jefferson, and Archbishop Alter. The tournament also served as Senior Night for Jonathan Alder’s senior wrestlers, Dylan Boysel and Jacob Johnson, and senior stat girl, Sophie Thomas.

Many Alder wrestlers placed at the tournament including freshman Reese Chapman, who placed third in the 113 pound weight class; freshman Josh Kaeser, who placed fourth in the 152 pound weight class; junior Luke Stalnaker, who placed fifth in the 170 pound weight class; senior Dylan Boysel, who placed third in the 192 pound weight class; and senior Jacob Johnson, who placed first in the 126 pound weight class.

Thomas has been a stat girl for the wrestling team for four years and dedicated much of her time to the team and to the sport even before she began high school. Boysel has been wrestling for ten years and is dreading the end of his final season. Boysel says he plans to follow and support the wrestling team in his post-high school years. Johnson has been wrestling for 11 years and is a two-time state qualifier. Johnson said now that his regular season is coming to an end, he is “optimistic and excited to return to the state tournament” for his final year.