Alder competes at Spire Ohio Preview

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

On Saturday, the Indoor Track team participated in the inaugural Spire Ohio Preview against some of Ohio’s top competition.

In the 3200m, sophomore Luke Malone and freshman Morgan Hicks each broke school records. Malone raced to a 10:05, missing out on the Milesplit Spire meet by just 6 seconds. Hicks raced to a 11:41.

Sophomores Gavin Frick and Michael Gray were two of the 3200m runners who were snubbed from the first heat of the 3200m event. For Frick, it came down to the final 300m where he came up short placing 3rd, running a 10:22. Gray raced to a 10:57. Gray also ran a 4:52 in the 1600m.

Senior Jase Headings raced to a 2:00.61 in the open 800m. Headings came up just .61 seconds short of qualifying for Spire. However, Headings split a 1:59 in the 4x800m.

Despite coming up just short of the qualifying mark, Headings was invited to the Spire meet on Saturday and is expected to become the first Alder athlete to participate in the event.

Headings led the 4x800m team to a possible State Championship qualifying time, despite being 20 minutes after Malone’s and Frick’s race. In addition, Zach Hicks raced to a 4:51 in the 1600m.

On the girls side, freshman Maddie Davis and junior Ashlyn McDaniel raced to impressive performances in the 1600m, running to a 5:35 and 5:49, respectively.

Junior Maddy Killian raced to a 2:36 in the 800m and Rachel Clemens raced to a 13:34 in the 3200m.

The teams compete at the final Otterbein High School Indoor meet of the season on February 11.