Girls Indoor Track wins District

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

In Alder Indoor Track’s inaugural season, the team is comprised of 12 distance runners, a sprinter, a thrower, and a jumper. Six boys and nine girls, and every single boy is a distance runner.

Entering Sunday, winning the District meet wasn’t even a thought. However, the girls team did the unthinkable and pulled off some incredible wins. The team defeated Licking Valley by six points and pulled off the upset over 17 other teams.

The day started with the Girls 4x800m winning the event by 7 seconds. The team was made up of senior Lexi Thorpe, junior Maddy Killian, and freshmen Morgan Hicks and Maddie Davis.

Hicks and Davis both dominated their respective events. Hicks won by 53 seconds in the 3200m, and Davis won the 1600m by 30 seconds. Both scored 12.5 points for team.

Thorpe, McDaniel, and Killian combined for 29 points, all running incredibly well on Saturday.

In the 60m, sophomore Emily Walker placed 4th and in the Shot Put, junior Sandy Moser placed 5th.

In addition, many of the girls qualified for the OATCCC Indoor State Championship. On March 3, the 5th ranked 4x800m will compete at the State meet. Hicks was ranked 5th, and McDaniel was ranked 23rd in the final rankings of the season. The Top 24 runners qualify for the State Championship.

Davis ranked 20th in the 1600m, and sophomore Donna Semenishin ranked 17th in the high jump. They will also compete at the State Championship.

The Top 40 runners in the State are invited to the State Championship, but only the fastest 24 are accepted. Senior Lexi Thorpe sits at 33rd and will find out on Wednesday if she squeaks into the Championship race.

On the Boys side, the six distance runners scored incredibly well, placing 5th of 22 teams.

The Boys 4x800m raced to an impressive 8:32, only 2 seconds away from District champions Buckeye Valley.

Senior Jase Headings raced to a District championship, winning the 800m in a 1:58. This was only 90 minutes after splitting a 1:56 in the 4x800m.

Sophomores Luke Malone and Gavin Frick ran to impressive times, placing 2nd and 3rd respectively in the 3200m. Sophomores Michael Gray and Zach Hicks placed 3rd and 5th in the 1600m. Freshman Caleb Freyhof placed 13th in the 800m.

The 4x800m team looks poised to have a chance to walk away the 2018 Indoor State Champions. The Boys team is only 4 seconds behind the first ranked East Canton.

Both 3200m runners, Malone and Frick, will be awaiting the final qualifying list as well. The two sit at 26th and 29th, respectively.

The 2018 OATCCC Indoor State Championship will be on March 3rd at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio.