The Primary Polls

Katie Grigsby, School News Editor

On May 8, the 2018 primary will occur in Ohio. As usual, Madison and Union counties are looking for students to help work the polling stations as either a greeter or a precinct election official. Get a front seat to see democracy in action by helping out your community and giving your time at the polling stations.

Greeters work half shifts, from either 6:30am-12:30pm or 12:30pm-7:30pm. Election officials, however, work a full day, from 5:30am-7:30pm. As compensation, students will be paid for the hours they spend at the station. While the pay rate varies from year to year, the average is $10 per hour.

While 51 people have already signed up, more seniors are still needed to work as precinct election officials, as you must be 18 by election day and registered to vote. You may only sign up to work in the county you live in.

Government teacher Mike Palmer, who is in charge of organizing the students who are working, highly recommends that students sign up to participate. He stated that he receives compliments from the adults working specifically about Jonathan Alder students nearly every year. On top of that, students in the past who worked the polls also had very positive comments to say regarding their experience.

If you’d like to sign up, see Mr. Palmer in room 137.