Seniors 2018 Update

Katie Grigsby, School News Editor

This is it seniors: the final countdown, your last days of high school! As this year comes to a close at last, there’s a list of dates and events you need to keep in mind.

First up, the last senior cookout will be this Friday, May 11. Seniors will be called down 5a and remain at the cookout throughout all three lunch periods. Before the food is dealt out, a class meeting will be held to discuss graduation. During this meeting, caps and gowns will be distributed as well. Per usual, there is no fee for this particular senior perk.

May 11 is also the last day to submit your 2018 Intent to Walk at Graduation form, which was emailed to your school account. This is also the day that your grade is determined for whether or not you will be exempt from exams.

Following the cookout, the next date to keep in mind is Thursday, May 17, the senior trip. Continuing tradition, seniors will travel to Cedar Point, leaving precisely at 7 am, no exceptions. You must be there by 6:50 am. Remember to bring money to pay for meals as well as souvenirs, as those costs are not covered in the $35. There are approximately 45 open bus seats still available for purchase. If you would prefer to pay with a check, money is due to Doc Lorson or Matt Carpenter by May 11. However, if you’re able to pay in cash, payment will be accepted by the same two teachers up until May 15. Seniors will arrive back at the high school around 10:30 pm.

This year, Senior Awards Night will be held on Monday, May 21 in the Jonathan Alder High School auditeria. It will begin at 7 pm and will last until it’s over. As this is a formal occasion, business appropriate dress is required.

Drawing ever closer to freedom, graduation practice will be on Thursday, May 24. If you choose to skip practice, you will not walk at graduation. A continental breakfast will be offered starting at 8:30 am and running until 9 am, when all seniors are required to be in attendance. Depending on how well everyone pays attention, practice should last between an hour and a half to two hours.

At long last, the day of graduation. On Sunday, May 27, Jonathan Alder’s 2018 graduating class commencement ceremony will occur. Seniors must be in the auxiliary gym of the high school by 1:30 pm. Doors will open to the public at 1 pm so families may reserve seats for the ceremony. Graduation itself will begin at 2:00 pm sharp. Don’t be late.

Good luck seniors!