Industry rundown: music in 2022

Maddie Saiter, Staff Writer, Social Media Manager

With the start of 2023, there is no better way to rewind 2022 than through music and concerts. 2022 was a huge year for new album releases and tours. Artists like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, SZA, Billie Eilish, and more released top 40 albums and followed with sell out tours. 

January

January started the year with the “ALTer Ego Festival,” and featured Coldplay, Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, Kings of Leon, Willow, All Time Low, and Måneskin. The festival took place in Los Angeles and takes place annually, this being the fifth year. 

Tickets would have cost you a pretty penny, as they ranged from $180- $1,800. The venue, The Kia Forum, holds around 17,500 people, which led to thousands of free spirited “alternatives” coming together to celebrate the New Year and enjoy music. 

February

Billie Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever” was released in July of 2021 and was a smashing success. Eilish incorporated a jazzy style that had never been heard before in her previous albums. 

Starting on February third, Eilish would start the “Happier Than Ever” world tour in New Orleans. She had multiple musicians supporting her on the tour, including her brother, Finneas, on keyboard. Although the tour was specifically promoting “Happier Than Ever,” she still performed other successful songs on different albums like “bad guy” and “bury a friend.” Ticket prices ranged from $95 up to $385 for general admission on the floor. Overall, the tour brought in a gross of $13.7 million and was highly prosperous. 

March

Dolly Parton has been a well known house-hold name for years, but hadn’t released an original album in over five years. “Run, Rose, Run” was her 48th studio album. The album was released on March fourth, and featured hit songs like, “Big Dreams and Faded Jeans” and “Blue Bonnet Breeze.” 

The album did great and reached 34 on Billboard 200. It also made the Top Country Albums chart as well because this album featured a more acoustic country tone. The album also coincides with the novel she co-wrote with James Patterson, “Run, Rose, Run,” and makes a perfect soundtrack for the book. 

April

After Olivia Rodrigo starred in “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” her career soared off. She released “Sour” this year in April. With hits like “Traitor” and “Drivers License,” she left fans eager for the tour.

Rodrigo’s concert venues were fairly small, considering the size of her fanbase. Many fans were left empty-handed with no ticket. But if you were able to snatch a ticket, you’d be seated in a more lavish venue, rather than a stadium. The first venue she would perform in, San Francisco’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, held about 8,500 people. The small venues led to a great success with sell out shows. 

May

Kendrick Lamar released his fifth studio album, “Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers” after five years without releasing any content. Following this, the tour was planned.  

This album was a shift in his typical music, as this album reflected his therapy journey. There were many themes in the songs that might be discussed in therapy such as childhood trauma. Lamar speaks on the album saying, “Love, loss, and grief have disturbed my comfort zone, but the glimmers of God speak through my music and family.”

June

Gwar is well known for their bizarre stage costumes and satirical lyrics. After five years of not releasing an album, Gwar recorded “The New Dark Ages” that also goes along with a graphic novel to depict the songs better. 

With a punk mindset and a metal execution, Gwar released “The New Dark Ages.” The album features very explicit and gruesome lyrics. The last track on the album is 11 minutes long and doesn’t include lyrics. It consists of wind-like sounds and abnormal guitar riffs.

July

It had been 11 years since Journey released an album when “Freedom” was released. This album is the longest one that Journey has ever recorded and reached number 17 on US Top Rock Albums. 

There was no notable dramatic tonal shift, but this album consisted of a theme built around love. With lyrics like, “Don’t give up on us now, baby/ Just promise of there’s love, we’re fine,” from the song, “Don’t Give Up On Us.”

August

The national sensation, Harry Styles, started his “Love On Tour” in New York City. “Love On Tour” nationally divided Harry fans because there were so many concerts scheduled in the United States, and at first, there were only five shows in Britain, his own foreign country. While there is a comparative size difference in both countries, this was no excuse for the fans in Britain.

The outrage led to Style’s choice of bringing “Love On Tour” back to Britain for 2023. There were ten added tour dates which will take place in May and June. 

September

“Louder Than Life:” the biggest metal music festival of the year. Thousands of fans purchased tickets to see headliners like Kiss, Slipknot, and Alice in Chains. The festival was in Louisville, Kentucky and lasted four days, from September 21st-24th, with about 100 metal bands spread across each day.  

With four stages, fans piled on top of each other to secure their front-row spot to see their favorite bands. Some fans would camp and stay the entirety of the four days, but others waited eagerly for their day to come. The festival provided water, which avoided dehydrated attendants and made the overall environment more safe. Famous guitar brands like Fender and Ibanez also had pop-up stands for guests to play guitar. There was also 24 hour security and medical assistance, which led to a safe, conflict free weekend for all fans to enjoy.

October

Taylor Swift has been a national sensation recently, releasing albums annually since 2019. When “Midnights” was released it came with iconic music videos like “Bejeweled.” The album consisted of a theme about self-awareness and insecurities.

While some fans were disappointed in the quality of the album, it still did very well, having ten songs reach the top ten positions on the US Billboard Hot 100. Fans were mostly disappointed that the promised feature of Lana Del Ray was merely used as background vocals. 

November

Pentatonix is known for their a cappella style harmonization; especially during the holiday season. Their Pentatonix: A Christmas Spectacular! 2022 Tour started on November 17th in Oakland California.

These concerts were filled with crowd interaction and audience participation. The members of Pentatonix became vocal coaches for the audience, which led to thousands of fans harmonizing their favorite Christmas songs. The setlist included classic songs like, “Mary, Did You Know?” and “12 Days Of Christmas.”

December

When SZA released “SOS,” fans were quick to listen through the 67 minute album, and pick out their favorites. The album has been successful overall, and songs like “Kill Bill” and “Low” did exceptionally well. 

SZA announced her 2023 North American Tour shortly after “SOS” was released. Her announcement was broadcasted on Saturday Night Live when she performed early this December. This tour will be her first arena tour and the first show will take place on February 21 in Columbus. Tickets are still on sale with 17 total shows which will all be in late February and March.