The Response

May 4, 2023

With time, the chemical would have evaporated on its own, still contaminating the atmosphere. This vinyl chloride was gas at room temperature, meaning it was a liquid with the ability to evaporate. To get rid of the risk of explosion, officials decided a controlled burn was the quickest way to minimize that risk.

JAHS science teacher Jennifer Calland is teaching Environmental Science this year and has done her fair share of research on the incident.

“I think if it were left to evaporate there would be vinyl chloride in the atmosphere anyway…” she says. “…I guess my question is which is more toxic: the vinyl chloride gas or the components of what happens when it’s burned.” 

With all of the known consequences following the contained burn, Calland concludes that hosting a controlled burn was the quickest and safest option. 

“A controlled burn was probably the fastest way…” she says. “…I think the main reason why it was decided to burn it was because of the risk of explosion. If there wasn’t that risk of explosion I think they may have gone a different route.” 

Environmental Science student and junior Maddy Headings says she first heard about the accident during her first-period environmental science class with Calland after doing research for a class project. 

“[The most surprising thing I’ve learned is] that the government evacuated [citizens of East Palestine, OH] and didn’t fix the issue before they told them to come back,” Headings says.