The student news site of Jonathan Alder High School

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

Super Bowl 57 ends with the Chiefs as the victors

Caitlyn’s Corner
A+stadium+filled+with+different+graphics+of+different+players%2C+running+around+the+field.+
Caitlyn Feay
A stadium filled with different graphics of different players, running around the field.

I’d say I’m not really surprised with the outcome of this Super Bowl. Although I appreciated that it was entertaining, I was wishing for different results, but one team had to win and that was the Chiefs.

The Super Bowl started off with Post Malone performing “America The Beautiful” and Reba McEntire performing “The Star-Spangled Banner.” I felt that McEntire’s performance was one of the best performances that I’ve watched. I also appreciated Malone’s guitar skill and musicality while performing his segment.

Before the game, the players lined up midfield for the coin toss. The Chiefs won the coin flip, and they chose to receive the ball in the second half. 

With the 49ers’ first possession, they fumbled the ball, and luckily for them, KC didn’t score anything due to that. The ball then continuously went back and forth, but San Francisco was finally able to push through for a 55-yard field goal at the beginning of the second quarter. KC then responded as they drove almost all the way to the end of the field, but fumbled at the 9-yard line. It was honestly rough seeing them work so hard to get down near the endzone, only for them to fumble before a score. 

Later on in the second quarter, the 49ers had expanded their lead, with a slick pass to running back Christian McCaffery, he ran for the touchdown to extend their lead. The Chiefs though, not wanting to leave the first half without any points, worked hard and were able to get a 28-yard field goal with 20 seconds left as they walked off the field for halftime. 

The halftime performance began with Usher performing his song “Caught Up.” Usher then proceeded to bring on other guests Alicia Keys, Lil John, Ludacris, Will.i.am, and H.E.R for various songs. Usher also danced around the stage in roller skates on the stage, which I thought was very entertaining as someone who doesn’t know much of his music. 

The Chiefs threw an interception on their first possession of the second half, but San Francisco was not able to capitalize on it. The 49ers had multiple chances and really good field position multiple times, but they were not able to get a first down, which ultimately made me feel like that cost them the game. 

The Chiefs, however, had some prime scoring chances once they kept hold of the ball. They scored a touchdown and another field goal to lead the game 13-10. Then, the fourth quarter began and the 49ers had a quick 10-yard pass for a touchdown, but, when trying to kick the extra point, Moody was blocked, keeping the game to 16-13. Both teams had back and forth field goals, until they were tied at 19 at the end, sending this game into a stressful overtime. 

The 49ers won the overtime coin toss, and opted to begin with the ball. They rushed down the field all the way down to the 27-yard line, but couldn’t execute so they settled with a field goal. When the Chiefs had the ball, the game felt very stressful, especially when they often needed to usen 4th downs to keep going down field. As overtime began to expire, KC got closer and closer to the endzone. With three seconds left, Quarterback Patrick Mahomes passed the game-winning 3-yard pass to wide receiver Mecole Hardman, ending the game 25-22 Chiefs.

Honestly, this was an exciting Super Bowl game. I am not a strong fan of either team, but they made this game interesting which I appreciated. Now that the Chiefs are two-time Super Bowl champs, could they end up three-peating it?