School zones regulate traffic

Riley Gruenbaum, School News Editor

Multiple school zones along State Route 42 have become a problem for the Plain City community. Although JAHS Assistant Principal, Mark Fenik, claims that there has been no direct complaints to Jonathan Alder High School concerning the consecutive school zones on State Route 42, they have been featured on news station 10tv due to the inconvenience of their placement. “School zones seem inconvenient to those going straight on State Route 42, but they’re necessary to regulate heavy traffic around our schools in order to keep the student body safe,” says Fenik.

Many people do not know that the 20 mph school speed limit applies not only to the road passing the schools and Tolles, but also to the parking lots of each school. Junior Aziza Ayoub has had first hand experience with this as she was accused of speeding in the high school parking lot late last year. “I didn’t know that the speed limit applies to the parking lot as well as the road,” stated Ayoub. “Although I do not believe that I exceeding the speed limit, I do see why that rule is in place. There has already been multiple accidents in the school parking lot this year, and the speed limit helps to keep the number of future accidents to a minimum.”

As school zones may seem very tedious to those traveling on State Route 42, it creates safety for those leaving the school and it helps to keep traffic under control.