School Uniforms

Kayla Fredendall, Photographer

Dear Editor,

Expressing yourself has always been recommended for students, whether that would be through music, sports, art, or fashion.  Students try to be themselves by speaking through what they prefer to wear, but usually end up being judged for it, whether that be in a good way or bad way.  When someone is judged in a positive manner, the person usually becomes a little more confident in themselves than they were before.  When an individual is judged in a negative way, that person slowly becomes scared to show who they really are and instead just try to fit in with others.  I think, overall, school uniforms would have a positive effect on the student body of Jonathan Alder.

By enforcing school uniforms, students wouldn’t be as worried about impressing one another.  They would simply put the same outfit on everyday.  To still promote expressing one’s self, students could accessorize the uniform and on a specific day of the week, students could  dress in whatever school appropriate outfit they choose.  I feel this would reduce the amount of criticism students receive for expressing who they are through fashion.

In addition, school uniforms would reduce stress for students in different ways.  I often find myself spending too much time trying to figure out what I’m going to wear the next day.  Students would no longer worry about those things if what they are going to wear is good enough.  All students would be wearing the same outfit so no one would be discouraged from showing who they really are.  

Jonathan Alder provides a positive environment and experience for students.  The education provided, the quality of the teachers and the extra-curricular opportunities are all fantastic.  Implementing school uniforms would only enhance the environment by eliminating peer pressure and judgement that can come from the pressure of what individuals wear to school.  

Sincerely,

Kayla Fredendall