Jonathan Alder students donate blood to save lives

Kaylie McDonald, Tech Editor

This year Jonathan Alder’s National Honors Society is organizing a blood drive on December 2, 2015  where students who are eligible can donate blood to the American Red Cross. The American Red Cross is a charitable organization designed to help those in urgent need. The blood donated to the American Red Cross is used daily to help save lives all over the world.

Students and staff  can donate blood as long as they are 16 years of age, have  their parents’ consent, their blood is healthy, weigh at least 110 pounds, and have not donated blood in the past 56 days. Nearly four million people donate blood to the American Red Cross yearly. This helps to provide nearly 40% of America’s blood supply.

Donating blood improves your health while also saving a life. According to the American Journal of Epidemiology, blood donors are 88% less likely to have a heart attack and 33% less likely to suffer any cardiovascular event.

Junior Isabel Rodela donated blood and had a great experience. Rodela said, “I had a good experience. The people running it were really friendly and made me comfortable, and I got candy too. I donated because it seemed like a nice deed; plus I got to miss a couple classes while I was waiting to donate.”

Get out of class, become a more healthy person and save a life by donating blood on December 2, 2015.