Coffee bar moves into JA

Logan Woods, Ad manager

Jonathan Alder’s Pioneer Cafe Coffee Bar opened for business to faculty on October 30. Giving the kitchen staff a trial run and gathering feedback from the teachers and administrators helped get the coffee bar ready for the large amount of students that are anticipated to utilize the new convenient and affordable option. The grand opening to Jonathan Alder students was on November 3.

The coffee bar idea is not new to many central Ohio schools. Dublin City Schools has provided coffee services for students and faculty for the last two years. The idea was recently redesigned to fit within the guidelines set by Smart Snacks in Schools. Food Service Directors from across central Ohio have been working in conjunction with representatives from Gordon Food Service over the summer to develop improved and healthier recipes.

Jonathan Alder’s Food Service Director Tonya Grove said, “The only costs provided by Jonathan Alder are the $500 for the initial supplies to get the bar up and running. The Food Service Department runs independently through the school district.” Grove also stated, “We will have a wide variety of hot and cold flavored coffee drinks, as well as hot chocolate and iced tea.”

Grove said, “Jonathan Alder plans to continue exploring new and appealing options to offer to the staff and students that meet USDA guidelines.” The cheap and easily accessible coffee bar was well received by the students and teachers that plan to line up every day to purchase their morning beverages.