Students tell their Thanksgiving traditions

Chloe Grove, Assistant Editor

The holidays, for most, are a time where families come together and celebrate. In November many families honor Thanksgiving by cooking their favorite fall foods and sharing a plentiful meal with others. Thanksgiving was first celebrated in 1621, when the colonists and Indians enjoyed an autumn feast with each other. “The Pioneer Press” asked around the school how one celebrates this holiday.

“My whole family usually goes to my grandparents’ house for Thanksgiving dinner,” said  junior Mackenzie Heimlich. “My grandma usually makes all of the food and then we all spend the night there and wake up early the next morning to go Black Friday shopping. My favorite part is probably going shopping with my family; it’s always a lot of fun.”

When asked how she spends her Thanksgiving,  office secretary Lisa Puckett responded, “We have Thanksgiving at my house. The whole family comes over and some bring side dishes. After we eat we look at Black Friday ads and watch football and Christmas movies.”

“We are going to my parents’ house this Thanksgiving. We usually shoot guns and walk through the woods before coming in to eat Thanksgiving dinner. After dinner, we watch football and then later play board games,” said vice principal Mark Fenik. Fenik also said that Thanksgiving is his favorite holiday, and he enjoys spending it with his family.

Thanksgiving continues to be celebrated by many families today. Each family celebrates Thanksgiving in different ways leading to the development of many traditions. Though traditions vary, one thing remains the same; the holidays are a time to honor what we are thankful for with those we love the most.