Challenges facing public schools

Logan Woods, Ad manager

The American public education system has plenty of room for improvement. Some experts have even said that the quality of education provided by public schools has deteriorated in recent years due to budget cuts, Common Core curriculum, student attitude and behavior, along with many other factors.

Budget cuts have caused huge problems with education across the United States due to the fact that less funding means smaller staffs, fewer resources, and lower amounts of opportunities. Some still argue that throwing more money into education will not solve current issues, even though a lack of funding is what brought these problems to the magnitude they are at today.

The negative attitudes and behaviors of students also contributes to the many hardships that public schools face. With an overwhelming Common Core curriculum, teachers do not have the time to assign students creative and unique assignments that give growing students the ability to express their ideas and interests. This causes young students to start developing a negative connotation of school that leads to disrespect towards teachers, tardiness, and absenteeism as they grow older.

High stakes testing also adds to the stress levels of both teachers and students. Forcing teachers to be evaluated on test results of students that have to take tests that only vaguely cover the standards put forth in the previously mentioned Common Core curriculum does not benefit anyone except the test makers and government officials that make money from the tests annually. The value of a student’s education is reduced to data points taken from a single test, rather than growth and performance throughout an entire school year.