Swimming finishes strong

Chloe Grove, Assistant Editor

The Jonathan Alder Pioneers swimming team consists of three athletes: junior Iain Herring, sophomore Maryn Herring and freshman Emily Matessa. On average, the team competes in 25 matches, the MOAC tournament and sectionals.  

Like any other high school sport, the swimmers practice five days a week for about two hours. When asked how this sport differs from others Iain Herring stated, “Not being able to breathe makes it much different from any other sport. It also works every single muscle in your body at once.” His personal goal is to make it to states his senior year.

“The best part of swimming is knowing that you tried your hardest every race. Many don’t realize how competitive the sport is, but I still have fun talking to the other teams behind the block,” stated Iain Herring.

The Jonathan Alder swimming team faces many challenges, with one being the number of athletes they have. Having only three people on the swimming team, they are unable to do relays, meaning they can only race individually. On the positive side, having less people makes matches shorter and the swimmers can leave earlier. Herring also mentions that they all are very close and often play jokes on each other.