Plain City Police present ‘Pioneer Project’

Megan Gordin, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday April 28, the Plain City Police Department traveled to JAHS to teach juniors and seniors the importance of staying sober behind the wheel. Their goal was to remind upperclassmen to stay safe not only during the quickly approaching prom season, but whenever they drive.

During first period, the police department gave the juniors a presentation in which they learned why police are drawn to pull certain drivers over, and ways to avoid meetings with the cops. Although this presentation mainly focused on the harms of driving under the influence of alcohol, the police officers also warned about driving after using drugs such as marijuana.

After the presentation, students who signed up had the opportunity to “drive drunk.” Using “drunk goggles,” students had to drive through a course on a Gator, which simulated being under the influence. This demonstrated how alcohol impairs the driver.

Junior Danny Rodriguez, who drove the course, reflected on the experience: “It made me realize how impaired your judgment really is after drinking. Even if you think you’re making the right decision, you’re not.” He concluded that it made him aware of things he may not always think about, such as how his impaired judgment could harm other people.