Alder shines at Ben Logan

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

To begin the 2017 Cross Country season, Jonathan Alder traveled to Benjamin Logan High School in anticipation of running against a majority of the CBC athletic conference.

The High School Boys came into the meet looking for their first win at a meet since Justin Creps took over in 2015, whereas the girls’ team looked for some of the same of their 2015 season.

To begin the evening, the high school girls gun went off and dominated from the beginning. Freshman Morgan Hicks won, running a 20:21.

“It was really exciting to win my first varsity 5K,” said Hicks as she described her victory on Tuesday.

Also on the girls side, freshmen Maddie Davis and Avery Pierce placed 4th and 5th respectively. Not far behind was junior Ashlyn McDaniel and senior Lexi Thorpe, who placed 7th and 11th respectively.

The girls’ team raced away from the competition, winning by a 30 point margin and scoring an impressive 27 points.

On the boys side, adrenaline was pumping. The team was expected to be in a two team race for first with Bellefontaine.

Sophomore Luke Malone won the race running a 17:19. Sophomore Gavin Frick finished in second running a 17:44.

Senior Jase Headings and sophomore Zach Hicks finished in 4th and 6th respectively. Rounding out the top 5 was freshman Brady Corbitt, who placed 15th.

The boys team raced to an easy victory, winning by 30 points and scoring 28 points.

The two teams race at Buckeye Valley’s Baron Blast on August 26th and Westerville North on September 2nd.