Sophomores take SOS training

Gavin Frick and Ali Cody

The Signs of Suicide (SOS) is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program offered by Nationwide Children’s hospital.

Jonathan Alder has once again teamed up with Nationwide Children’s Hospital to teach the sophomore class about the warning signs of suicide.

English teacher Mrs. Rachael Zimmerman headed the program at Jonathan Alder. Zimmerman was joined by guidance Mr. Kevin Beery and Mrs. Cindy Wolfe throughout the three days of the program.

On day one, students went through a very informational presentation. They were taught common misunderstandings regarding suicide, many risk factors, and warning signs, and triggering events.

Although a lot of information was thrown towards the students, the reaction across the sophomore class was well. A majority of the students were not overwhelmed and walked away with a good understanding of the topic.

Day two became much more interactive and relatable.

The classes went through many simulations and worked together with partners to work through real life scenarios, discovering made up characters risk factors, warning signs, and working through ACT (Acknowledge, Care, and Tell).

On the third day of the program, the sophomores were given specific scenarios and ways they would cope with them.

Students spent thirty minutes covering the mechanism of coping and examples of ways to cope. Later in the period, each student was handed a paper titled, “99 Coping Skills”  and they were told to circle each coping skill that would be helpful to them in any situation. Sophomores also received a paper from Nationwide Children’s Hospital that broke down topics already covered throughout the past three days, such as, “depression in youth,” “factors for suicidal behavior,” and also mental health resources.

The last thing they did was make a poster of the positive and negative coping mechanisms. Then each person went over their list and added to it as well.

We thought this program was a very nice, respectful way of bringing up such a difficult topic. Nationwide elaborately explained everything in a way that was not too harsh nor too vague but in a way that was polite and courteous to anyone who would have been in a situation related to the subject of discussion.

They did it in a way that made the room feel safe and comforting as possible when talking about suicide. We, personally, would recommend the program for any school who thinks it is deemed necessary.