Fashion at Jonathan Alder

Madeline Frambes

A collage of all the outfits showed in the article, photos taken by Madeline Frambes

Madeline Frambes, Multimedia Editor, Staff Writer

Mckenzie Wright 

Current Aesthetic: “My parents call me eclectic so I think that’d be it.”

Mckenzie Wright is a senior this year who is often recognized for her unique style; she is often seen wearing thrifted or vintage-inspired clothing. Wright says her style is inspired by YouTube and a book called Stargirl: “she was like so unique that I just wanted to be like her, so just always pick weird stuff to wear in hopes of being like her.” 

Wright says her confidence is boosted by “wearing really weird stuff.” “I think I’m known for like cutting my hair and doing really weird stuff with it,” she says.  Getting attention from people makes her feel seen. “When they look at you, it’s just like you know…that you have a presence and that makes me feel confident.” 

Q: Where do you see fashion heading in the next five years?

A: I don’t really wanna support fast fashion brands, so I try to thrift like all the time, and just find stuff that isn’t made from child labor,” she says. “I watch a lot of YouTube videos about it and I think more people are becoming aware… We have such a limited time here on Earth [and we need to be] changing our consumerism.

Q: What’s your advice to people who are too nervous to dress how they want?

A: Just do it, literally, no one cares! You could wear a Polkadot dress that’s orange and no one would care like no one would remember. I think It’s just so weird when people aren’t like confident in themselves ‘cause you’re gonna die one day, just wear it!”

Mason Farmwald 

Current Aesthetic:” Trendy city boy”

Senior Mason Farmwald is often seen wearing blazers and button-ups and is recognized for his posh style. Farmwald says he doesn’t know where he gets his inspiration but he likes “to have fun with floral prints and stuff like that. I like to do things that people are afraid to do.” He says that he likes “Having fun with [his] outfits. I hate coming to school in like a sweatshirt and jeans; I feel like that’s very not creative, so when I wear something kinda out there maybe someone might consider bizarre, I’m like, this is great.” Farmwald says he’s found his style over time.  He says that his style developed “gradually as I’ve grown up I figured out what I liked and what I didn’t, and what looks good on me and what doesn’t, and what fits I like and stuff like that. It’s just over the years.”

Q:Where do you see fashion heading in the next five years?

A: Well if we use VSCO girls as an example; downhill.” He added, “But I don’t know enough about fashion, but I think it’ll be fine. I mean we’ve survived every decade so far so what would be different about the next five years.”  

A: People’s opinions literally don’t matter. Like if somebody says, ‘Oh that’s a weird outfit,’ why does that matter if you think it’s cool? Do not be afraid to wear what you want to wear.

Mercy Lackey

Current Aesthetic:It’s very kinda like low key and kinda just casual-ish, I’m super into just everyday clothing but making it fashion.”

Senior Mercy Lackey is often seen sporting grunge and edgy looks. Lackey says her style is inspired by her sister (Junior Honour Lackey) as she stated, “I honestly didn’t have a lot of style before. Like I always used to make fun of her cause she always tried really, really hard to like make sure her outfit was cute and I was like that’s kinda dumb. I kinda watched her style and kinda fell into that.” Lackey adds that she feels most confident, “probably when I do my makeup… I have some makeup on right now, but if I didn’t have makeup on, I wouldn’t feel as comfortable in this.”

Lackey believes that fashion is “really what you feel like you look best in.” Lackey believes that since her style is an accumulation of different things,  she is still figuring out what her style is. “I feel like I’m still finding it, I switch around a lot. Like I can be super tomboy one day but then the next day be like super glam-y, cause I like doing that too but I like being more I guess casual and work. I go to work and I’m always super business casual and I get a lot of ideas from there. I’d say I’m still trying to figure it out.” 

A:,” I kinda see more like grungy looks coming cause I know there’s a lot of like those dark joggers with like chains, kinda like Billie Ellish a little bit, her style is coming up a bit more and I like it a lot honestly, I really wanna like start trying that out a little bit.” 

A: “I wouldn’t worry about other people think, ‘cause style is all what you want to do with yourself so, you don’t want to be anyone else but yourself, so I think you should do what you want. I mean I don’t really care what people think like some people probably think that plad’s ugly and I’m like ‘I think it’s sweet.’ Like my dad’s clothes are awesome and I wanna wear them like I don’t care what other people think, so I think the big thing is just like do what you like and don’t worry if others like it.”

Francesca Covre 

Current Aesthetic: “It’s European…I try to dress fancier lately”

Foreign exchange student Francesca Covre is recognized for her distinctive style. Covre says her style is inspired people she sees on social media, like Brie Larson.  “I just try to copy that,” she says, adding that she likes, “high-waisted jeans and sweaters.” Covre’s individual style sets her apart and she believes the same to be true with her definition of fashion.  “Fashion is something that’s unique to everyone, and it’s what makes you feel comfortable with yourself,” she says.

A: I think it’s just got to take back styles that were like trending years ago.

A: Just try a different styles and see what you like.

Honour Lackey 

Current Aesthetic: “Comfortable and Grundge-y”

Honour Lackey is a junior who is recognized for her individual style; she is seen often sporting striped or brightly colored shirts and jeans. Lackey says her style is inspired by “French girls from now and American girls from the ’90s,” and that she feels most confident “when [she is] wearing a really good pair of jeans.” For her, fashion is about comfort. 

A: More sustainable options that are more affordable, because I’d like to wear more sustainable clothes, but it’s very expensive.

A: Remember that the only person that really cares about how you look is gonna be you, and if you feel good about how you look, then it’s fine, nobody else is gonna notice.

Georgie Wheeler

Current Aesthetic: “I don’t know because I feel like I dress different daily”

Junior Georgie Wheeler is recognized for her individual style, often seen wearing bohemian-inspired outfits. Wheeler says her style is inspired by her moods. “Every day’s different; I think I kind of wake up in a mood and I just decide like this is how I want to dress.” Wheeler adds that she feels confident when she’s “wearing something that’s new and exciting, and just different.” Wheeler says that fashion to her is “a way to express yourself and have fun.”

A: I think we’re going to see like a lot of like old clothes brought back, and maybe see some like hippie clothes.

A: Try it once and you’ll probably change your mind.

Ashley Warren  

Current Aesthetic:“Kinda vintage”

Ashley Warren is a sophomore who is often wearing vintage-straight from your dad’s closet-inspired clothing. Warren says she gets her inspiration from Pinterest and that she likes wearing “something different and like unique and not like what anybody else wears.” Warren also expressed her idea of what fashion means to her: ” I think expressing yourself through clothing and just wearing something that makes you feel good.” 

A: I honestly have no idea, I feel like it varies all the time. It could really go anywhere.

A: Honestly it doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks. I mean, if at least ten people don’t think your outfit is ugly, you’re not taking enough risks.

Ava Wehner 

Current Aesthetic: “Sometimes preppy, sometimes casual”

Sophomore Ava Wehner is known for her posh and put-together style, she describes her style as, “I kinda have a mix of styles, like sometimes preppy sometimes kind of like ‘90’s-ish, a little bit.” Wehner adds that “dressing up makes me confident, and like accessorizing, and not wearing like a sweatshirt.” Wehner’s definition of fashion is “like the style and the clothes you wear, and how you express yourself through that.” 

A: Definitely like bringing back things from the old times still, we take fashion from the ’80s, ’90s, I feel like we’re going to keep doing that.

A: Just go for it, just take a leap.

Kadie Walter 

Current Aesthetic: “In the making”

Sophomore Kadie Walter is known for her soft and artsy clothing, she says that her style is inspired by “The 70’s era.” Walter adds that what makes her feel confident is silk and that her definition of fashion is “Difference in perspective.” 

A: I see it going back in time.

A: You’re only going through high school once.

Emma Rector 

Current Aesthetic: “Sometimes it’s grunge, sometimes it’s skater, other times it’s like VSCO girl.”

Sophomore Emma Rector is known for her individual style, often seen wearing streetwear-inspired outfits. Rector says her style is inspired by “my mind I guess like that’s why I have such like a really hard to understand style ‘cause one day I’ll dress like completely different than like what I dress like today.” Rector says that clothes she likes are what makes her feel confident. “I hate when other people tell me what to wear ‘cause I’m like I don’t want to wear that,” she says. 

A: Downward, really downwards.

A: Don’t care because they’re going to think how they think. I mean if you look at their clothes and you’re just like ‘oh that’s cool,’ but like if they try to judge you on your fashion be like well this is what I feel comfortable with, so like f-off.

Mikaela Long 

Current Aesthetic: Try[ing] to be edgy but fails” 

Freshman Mikaela Long is recognized for her unique style, often seen sporting joggers and an oversized t-shirt. Long says that her style is inspired by the fact that she takes “a lot of styles advice from like the 90s as a whole I guess, and Korean streetwear.” Long also says she feels confident when wearing “clothes that aren’t kind of like too tight but also like aren’t super baggy, cause I don’t like to show a lot of skin.” Long says that it’s taken her “A couple of years” to find her style. “There was a phase in like in fourth grade where I shopped at like only Justice, so evolution,” she says. For her, fashion is “expression.” 

A: A lot more urban…kind of going on the more masculine side I guess.

A: Just do it, literally no one cares.