The Pioneers take on The Bellefontaine Chieftains in Homecoming Match Up

Jonathan Alder hosted the Bellefontaine Chieftains on October 8, for their homecoming celebration. Before the game the homecoming court was announced and the king and queen were crowned. The court consisted of: freshmen Addison Schumacher escorted by Jonathan Park, sophomore Allison Miller escorted by Cooper Dickie, junior Hadley Glick escorted by Eli Trbovich, senior Ellie Hesiler escorted by Andy McGlaughlin, senior Lizzie Lombardi escorted by Logan Shafley, senior Brooklyn Petersheim escorted by Chase Manard and senior Joselyn Zuro escorted by Will Heisler. 

The crowning ceremony is done by the previous winners of the homecoming court, class of 2021 alumni Kate Stroupe and Jackson Izzard came back and crowned this year’s king and queen. Voting took place from Monday October 4 until Wednesday October 6, and the winners didn’t get announced until the game on Friday. This year’s homecoming king and queen were Will Hesiler and Joselyn Zuro. The crowned queen Joselyn Zuro tells us about her experience in being a part of the homecoming court. “ I was really excited! I felt really honored to represent Jonatahan Alder during all of the homecoming festivities and I couldn’t wait to participate in them.” 

Being a part of the homecoming court at JAHS is special, the festivities include a parade and bonfire, as well as walking across the field at the homecoming game where the king and queen are crowned. “ I was initially shocked when I won homecoming queen. Afterwards, I felt so loved and supported by my classmates and also the community – it was overall such a positive and fun experience that I will never forget.” 

Positive vibes and making memories is what homecoming is all about, it’s not just about the football team playing a game; it’s about the Jonathan Alder community coming together to support each other. “ Every week the community is there for us, but especially this week. Seeing the alumni and stands packed really showed how loved we are,  ” says junior Wyatt Kaizer. 

Kaizer has been on the football team for 3 years, with only having one actual homecoming game experience he says “ The student section was very energetic and that helped us out a lot. The fans were supportive, the atmosphere was electric.”

The marching band always brings an atmosphere of family and togetherness on Friday nights. The band was joined by the eighth graders on the field, from start to finish the eighth graders got good experience with the band. The eighth graders joined the band for pre-game, performing The Star Spangled Banner directed by senior student director Trevor Cox and The Alma Mater directed by senior student director Kyle Russell. Some of the band members had siblings join them on the field.

Sophomore Erin Gall was excited to have her sister join her on the field and play. Gall says “I thought it was more fun with the eighth graders there because I was with my sister and other people I knew.” The band ended the night with the halftime performance of “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic, “Believer” by Imagine Dragons and closed with “Toxic” by Britney Spears.

The eighth graders were supportive of the marching band along with the student section. The Black Hole theme was black out to support the football team and their big game. The Pioneers pulled out a win against the Chieftains with a score of 42-7; the boys play their last home game October 22 against Shawnee where the seniors for all fall sports will be recognized.