Alder Marching Band: Senior Night

Megan Krummrey, Staff Writer, Editor

On Friday October 22, Jonathan Alder hosted Shawnee at home for their Class of 2022 Fall Athlete Senior Night. Among those celebrated were the 26 marching band seniors. Their halftime performance that evening featured “Fanfare Downfield (Smells Like Teen Spirit)” by Nirvana, “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele, “Believer” by Imagine Dragons, and “Best Friend” by Sophie Tucker. 

Nadia Haines is the only Class of 2022 piccolo player, and has been in band since 6th grade. 

She has been a squad leader for 2 years, and was also the band historian this year. Her favorite band memory is being able to help teach the incoming freshman every year in band camp. After high school, Haines plans to go to college to become a first grade teacher.

Caleb Husband, Alexis Messer, and Estella Soloha are the Class of 2022 clarinet players.

Husband has been playing the clarinet for 7 years, and his favorite teacher is Mr. Hennig. After high school, he plans to work a little and see where life takes him. 

Messer has played for 8 years. Her favorite band memory is when Alder hosted their first band show. She plans to go to Columbus State Community College for two years, and then transfer to the University of Louisville to get a degree in childhood education. 

Soloha has also been in band for 8 years. She loves going to Alder because of the friendships and experiences she has gained while being a student. After high school, she plans to attend Columbus State for two years and then transfer to OSU to become a nurse.

Jacob Brandel, Trevor Cox, Brandon Gargac, Kadie Walter, Brea West are the Class of 2022 saxophone players. 

Brandel has been in band since 5th grade. His favorite band memory is the bus rides home from away games, when he can blast music with his friends. After high school, Brandel plans to join the Marine Corp. 

Cox has played the saxophone since 5th grade. He has been a squad leader since his junior year, and is one of the student directors this year. His favorite part of being in band is the long lasting friendships he made along the way. Cox plans to go to college to get a degree in chemical engineering and possibly a law degree to work in energy policy. 

Gargac is the only senior tenor saxophone, and has been playing since he moved to alder in 8th grade. He was made section leader this year, and also Band Vice President. After high school, Gargac plans to join the US Air Force, and become a B-52 bomber pilot. 

Walter has been in band since 5th grade, and her favorite band memory is marching back to the high school with her hat on backwards after winning a football game. Her plans for the future include attending Columbus State to begin a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism and Master’s Degree in Digital Marketing. She hopes to someday work in the field of media. 

West has been in the marching band since freshman year. Her favorite teacher is Mr Clark, because his class had such a chill environment and he was so funny and kind. After high school, West plans to move out of state and pursue something music related. 

Dominic Dellapina, Ellie Foust, John Jordan, and Kyle Russell are the Class of 2022 trumpet players. 

Dellapina has been in marching band since freshman year. After high school, he plans to attend the US Naval Academy to major in History and Minor in German.

Foust has been in band since 5th grade. Her favorite memory from band is when they first stepped on the field for Meet the Band Night her freshman year. After high school, Foust plans to go to college to study criminology.  

Jordan has been in band since 5th grade, and favorite teacher is Mr Hennig, because he is one of the most genuine teachers and always knows how to brighten someone’s day. Jordan plans to work at Honda after high school. 

Russell has been in band since 5th grade, and is one of the student directors this year. His favorite memory is the Wayne Band Show his freshman year when they had to play inside because of the rain. After high school, Russell plans to attend OSU to major in Computer Science and Engineering, and minor in Music Composition.

Quinten Ater, Ed Rice, and Roman Van Rookhuizen are the Class of 2022 trombone players. 

Ater has been in the marching band for 4 years. After high school, he plans to join an apprenticeship and become an aerial lineman. 

Rice has been in band since 5th grade. After high school, Rice wants to enter the military as a welder.

Van Rookhuizen is an exchange student, and has been in the band at Alder for less than a year. His favorite class so far is Mr Deekeen’s sociology class. After high school, he plans to attend the University of Amsterdam to study clinical psychology. 

Matthew McMillen, Ellyse Tillyer, and Emma VanWinkle are the Class of 2022 sousaphone players.

McMillen has played the sousaphone all four years of high school. His favorite class is the Firefighting and EMS lab at Tolles, because of the friendships and memories he’s made. After high school, he plans to become a firefighter and serve his community. 

Tillyer has been in band since 5th grade, and has been section leader since junior year. She loves being a JAHS student because of the support she feels from the students and staff in the music department. After high school, Tillyer plans to pursue a degree in secondary education language arts to become a high school teacher or college professor.

VanWinkle has been in band since 5th grade. She has been the band librarian since her sophomore year, and section leader since her junior year. Her favorite memory from band was Alder’s first time hosting a band show her freshman year and the dance party they had on the field afterwards. After high school, VanWinkle plans to attend Wright State University to study psychology and become a PTSD therapist for veterans and write mental health reforms for the military. 

Connor Beachy, Owen Detwiler, Olivia Hallman, Mason Mcfarlane and Andrew Peterson-Sonstein are the Class of 2022 percussionists. 

Beachy has been in band since 6th grade. His favorite band memory is hanging out with friends after football games. After high school, Beachy plans to work in the family business as a carpenter. 

Detwiler has been drumming for 10 years, but has played for the school for 7 years. His favorite teachers are Mr. Clark and Mr. Palmer and his favorite classes are anything involving history. After high school, Detwiler plans to work on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska and then do other jobs to build capital. After that, he plans to become a firefighter and help on the family farm.

Hallman has been in band since 5th grade. She has been the lead bass drum for 3 years, and squad leader for 2. She was also made Band Secretary this year. Her favorite memory from her time at JAHS is the motivation and support she’s received from her friends in show choir and band. After high school, Hallman plans to attend college and major in communications.

Mcfarlane has been in band for 8 years, and his favorite band memory is partying with the drumline after football games. After high school, Mcfarlane plans to attend the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, California and major in guitar performance.  

Isaiah Heyman, Ally Miller, and Maci Schilling are the Class of 2022 Drum Major and Majorette Seniors. 

Heyman has been in the marching band since freshman year, and has been drum major since his sophomore year. His favorite memory from band is the first time he did the backbend at a football game. After high school, Heyman plans to go to OSU and major in Music Education to become an Orchestra Director. He plans to join the OSU band and audition for the position of Drum Major. 

Miller has been a majorette for all 4 years of high school, and her favorite band memory is getting to perform at home football games. After high school, Miller plans to attend Bowling Green State University to major in childhood education. 

Schilling has been twirling for 10 years, and has been a majorette for all of high school. Her favorite class was chemistry with Mr Koester because she got to light things on fire. After high school, Schilling plans to go to college and study fashion merchandising and advertising.