JA Senior Night: Girls Basketball

Megan Krummrey, Staff Writer, Editor

On Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022, Jonathan Alder hosted their girls basketball senior night in a  home game against London. The varsity team ended up winning 57 to 32, bringing their conference record to 9-0 and their overall record to 16-4. This year’s Class of 2022 has seven seniors on the team: Hannah Beach, Mary Ferrito, Reggan Gray, Natalie Heflin, Ellie Heisler, Katie Hooley, and Olivia Zuro.  

Hannah Beach has been playing basketball since she was six years old. She has played all four years of high school, and lettered the past two years. Her favorite memory from playing basketball was her very first year playing and being able to be coached by her dad and uncle in Lambs of God. Her favorite part of going to Alder is the sense of community within the school. After high school, she plans to go to college.

Mary Ferrito has been playing basketball since she was seven years old. She has played and lettered all four years of high school. She was also recently recognized as CBC athlete of the month. She enjoys playing the sport she loves with her best friends. Her favorite memories are beating Bishop Watterson her sophomore year and winning the district championship at Ohio Dominican. She plans on attending The University of Wisconsin- Madison and majoring in environmental science, as well as joining the Air National Guard after high school. Awards she’s won for basketball include:

• All Conference Special Mention- Sophomore Year (2020)
  • All Conference 1st Team- Junior Year (2021)

Reggan Gray has been playing basketball since she was five years old. She has played basketball all four years of high school, and lettered for the past three years. She is excited to see the success that comes from the hard work and dedication of her teammates, and has loved getting to know the new coaching staff this year. After high school, she plans to go to college and travel.

Natalie Heflin has been playing basketball for seven years. She has played basketball all four years of high school, and held a varsity position for two years. Her favorite memory from basketball is dancing in the locker room with her team after winning districts. She loves going to JAHS because of all the friends she has made. She plans on attending college and majoring in nursing and continuing to grad school to become a physician’s assistant after high school. 

Ellie Heisler has played basketball since she was seven years old. She’s been playing basketball at the high school since her freshman year, and has lettered the past three years. Her favorite basketball memory is playing as the tallest girl on her fourth grade travel basketball team, only to be passed in height by her teammates in the years to come. Her favorite part of being a JAHS student was getting to spend time in the office as an aid, and making friends with the staff. After high school, she plans on attending college and getting a business degree. Some awards she has won include: 

• MVP JV Team- Sophomore Year (2020)
  • All Conference Special Mention- Junior Year (2021)
  • All Conference Sportsmanship Award- Junior Year (2021)

Katie Hooley has been playing basketball for eight years. She has played high school basketball for two years and this is her first year on varsity. Her favorite basketball memory is getting to travel around and go out of state for travel tournaments with her friends. The best part for her was the belly flop contest in fourth grade. She plans to attend Huntington University to play soccer and major in finance after high school. 

Olivia Zuro has played basketball since her freshman year and lettered the past two. She won most improved player her sophomore year. Her favorite memory was getting to attend Little Dribblers every Saturday in fall. It helped to inspire her to be a role model on and off the court. She also loved the dog pile at the district championship last year. She likes attending JAHS because of all the friends she has made and gets to see every day. After high school, she plans on attending the University of Arizona.