Top 10 Upcoming Movies of 2022

Avery Murdock, Staff Writer

The movie industry has become very popular in the past decades. With the technology changing through the years, the movie making industry has made more extreme and wild motion pictures. With the research I’ve done, the fans of the movie industry are looking forward to the movies that are based on books, video games, or the film is a continuation of the film series. Here are the top ten movies on that list.

https://www.imdb.com

The first one is “Scream,” released on Jan. 14. This new movie is a part of the famed thriller franchise, “Scream.” The fans who have grown up with this series are excited to see the actors back together on the big screen. This movie takes place 25 years later in the town of Woodsboro, where the deadly killings by the Ghostface come back to haunt a new group of teenagers. To combat the new killings, the trio of Sidney Prescott, Gale Weathers, and Dewey Riley (played by Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, and David Arquette) come together to stop the new wearer of the Ghostface mask. Will the trio stop the killer or will they finally fall like the rest of their past?

http://www.impawards.com

The second upcoming movie is “Jackass Forever,”released on Feb. 4. This movie is the fifth film in the Jackass franchise. This movie is a continuation of the wild, crazy stunts and comedic notions a group of friends started 20 years ago. Fans are ecstatic to see the stunt comedy group, but this time they will get to see them in theaters. The film stars Johnny Knoxville, Chris Pontuis, Dave England, Ehren McGheney, Jason “Wee Man” Acuña, Steve-O and a number of others, along with well known celebrity guests. The stunts performed by this rowdy group only get more and more outrageous. This film is rumored to be more chaotic than the last ones, with crazier stunts involving bears, bulls, and large foam hands. Be warned these stunts are performed by trained professionals and should not be tried at home.

https://www.imdb.com

The third movie coming out in 2022 is “Moonfall,” released on Feb. 4. This Sci-Fi film is about a man named K.C Houseman (played by John Brabley) who makes the terrifying discovery of the moon falling off its orbit and heading straight for earth. In a time crunch, he reaches out to NASA executive, Jocinda “Jo” Fowler. With a man from Jo’s past, they all team up to take an impossible mission to outer space to save the human race. The stars of this movie include Halle Berry, most known for her work in Catwoman, along with actors Patrick Wilson and John Bradley. Under the direction of Roland Emmerich, who directed 1996’s Independence Day starring Will Smith, and along with countless other Sci-Fi films. The fans following this director and people that are interested in the Sci-Fi genre are looking forward to seeing yet another one of Emmerich’s great Sci-Fi movies. 

http://www.impawards.com

The next movie on the list is “Death On the Nile,” releasing Feb. 11. This film is based on the book written by British author Agatha Christie. Although fans thought the book was just another predictable mystery and not among Christie’s best work. They have high hopes that the movie will change their minds. The movie takes place on a river steamer heading down the Nile with the picture perfect couple on their honeymoon. Linnet Ridgeway Doyle (played by Gal Gabot) recently married to Simon Doyle (played by Armie Hammer) the glamorous honeymoon takes a turn for the worst when a murder is discovered onboard. A world renowned private detective Hercule Poirot (played by Kenneth Brangah) was hired by Linnet before the murder took place. In this wild mystery will Detective Poirot find the murderer or will the River steamer be the death of his career? With famous actress Gal Gadot and actor Kenneth Brangah, this movie will be one to watch. The action sequences with Gadot would be among the advanced because of her former work in action movies such as “The Red Notice” and “Wonder Woman.” However, the book from which the movie is based off of was not Christie’s most popular work, so there is a chance that the movie will not be what fans of the book wanted to see. 

https://www.imdb.com

Another movie on this list is “Marry Me,” releasing on Feb. 11. Starring Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson, this romantic musical comedy is about two strangers who agree to marry each other. The fans of Lopez and Wilson are most excited to see them pair up in a rom-com. With Wilson’s previous work in other rom coms, and Lopez’s magical singing voice this movie is expected to bring lots of laughs and dancing.    Musical superstar Kat Valdez was supposed to marry her super-star fiance in front of her loyal fans and the whole world. But after learning of her fiance’s cheating ways before her concert, she is distraught with heartbreak. After locking eyes with a stranger, she impulsively marries him on the spot. Charlie Gilbert– a divorced high school math teacher who was dragged to the concert by his daughter Lou Gilbert (played by Big Little Lies actress Chloe Coleman) and his best friend, is chosen by the super star in front of all her fans. Now with the impulsive marriage, they must learn and get to know each other to find out if two people from completely different worlds can find true love. This movie will definitely give you some good laughs with other comedic stars on the cast like “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon and Brady Noon from the movie “Good Boys.”

https://en.wikipedia.org

The sixth movie on the list is “Uncharted,” releasing on Feb. 18. Based on the popular action-adventure video game series “Uncharted” released in 2007. Fans of the series thought that the voice actor Nolan North who voiced Nathan Drake in the video game, would be playing him in the movie. But when Tom Holland was chosen for the role fans had mixed emotions. Most were very excited to see what Holland would do and bring to the character, but others were sad to see North not play the character in the movie. Nathan Drake (played by actor Tom Holland)  is a treasure-hunter who teams up with Victor “Sully” Sullivan (played by actor Mark Wahlberg) to embark on a dangerous adventure hunting down the most notorious, hidden treasure. Along the way they team up with Chloe Frazer (played by actress Spohie Taylor Ali) who is a friend of Sully’s. She helps Drake and Sully search for the lost treasure. Together they encounter a group of vicious explorers who are willing to do anything to secure the lost treasure for themselves. In a race for time, Drake, Sully, and Frazer are put to the test to find the treasure, and along the way uncovering secrets of the disappearance of Drake’s long-lost older brother. With Spider-Man’s Tom Holland playing Nathan Drake, the stunts in “Uncharted” will be extreme. In an interview with Sony Pictures Holland says, “With “Uncharted” I was shooting stunts that are far bigger than anything I’ve done before.” With having to recreate the video game stunts, this adventure film will definitely be wild and unlike anything we’ve seen. 

https://www.imdb.com

The next movie on the list is “The Batman,” releasing on March 4. With Batman being one of the most popular DC characters, and with so many different renditions of the character out for the fans to compare, it should be a great film. They are seeing the Matt Reeves version of Batman (the director of the upcoming Batman) as a similar version of the Batman character from the comic book series “Batman Year-One.” Which is the early crime fighting years of Batman. Fans were excited to see Robert Pattinson cast as the Batman, but when he announced that he was not going to bulk up for the role fans were confused. Batman has always been a muscular character. But as the movie comes closer to releasing fans have grown more excited to see Pattinson in action. In this movie Batman (played by Robert Pattinson) is in a dangerous game of cat and mouse with the Riddler (played by Paul Dano), a supervillain in Gotham City who incorporates riddles and puzzles into his schemes. While Batman is trying to win the fight against the Riddler, he uncovers the corruption in the City to be connected to his family. Will Bruce be able to win the fight against his demons or will he fall with the city?

https://www.imdb.com

The eighth movie on the list is “Fantastic Beast: The Secrets of Dumbledore” releasing on April 15. This film is the third movie in the series, based on the books written by J.K Rowling. The Fantastic Beast trilogy is also a spinoff of the very popular “Harry Potter” book series. This movie takes place in the early years of professor Dumbledore’s life, played by Jude Law. Dumbleore knows that a powerful dark wizard is coming to take over the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he is given the responsibility to lead a team of intrepid wizards to Newt Scamander, a magizoologist (played by Eddie Redmayne). Together they encounter new beasts as they clash with Grindelwald’s growing followers. With the final movie of the trilogy, fans are happy to see Newt Scamander back on the big screen. Fans are also happy to see Jude Law as young Dumbledore, and are ready to have an ending to the wild ride that the first two movies of the trilogy have given them.  With these two popular characters on the big screen this movie will be one of the best of the trilogy. 

www.dakotanewsnow.com

The next movie on the list is “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” releasing on May 6, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizebeth Olsen. This movie takes place right after “Spider-Man No Way Home,” after Doctor Strange casts the spell to make everyone forget Peter Parker. A portal opens to the Multiverse, where a threat emerges that might be too big for his team to handle. In Phase 4 of the Marvel movie franchise, this movie is going to be a big one for fans. We will get to see “What If” characters confirmed, see the Scarlet Witch in full action, and meet new characters that will be a part of Marvel studios in the future. Fans are also excited to see how this movie is going to shape the rest of the future for Marvel Studios. 

https://www.imdb.com

The last movie on the list is “Jurassic World: Dominion,” releasing on June 10. The workers on this film have not released the trailer of the movie yet, but they did release a five minute prolog for the movie. The prolog takes place in the generation of the dinosaurs, and what their life looked like before humans existed. 65 million years later a tyrannosaurus rex tears through a drive-in movie while military efforts try to take the dinosaur down. The remaining question is, how did the dinosaurs get off the island? This film is the third movie in the Jurassic World Franchise. Chris Pratt is starring as Owen Grady and Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing, alongside other stars such as Jeff Goldblum and Danielle Pineda. New stars such as Sam Neill (as Alan Grant) and Laura Dern (playing Dr. Ellie Sattler) will also hit the big screen this summer. Fans are most excited to see the returning of the original stars from the first movie. And see what they are going to do with what they left off from Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.