JA students take on college level classes

Logan Woods, Ad manager

There has been a recent rise in the amount of Advanced Placement and college level classes available to Jonathan Alder students for the 2015-2016 school year. More and more students are looking for extra opportunities to get ahead, and Jonathan Alder is trying to take the necessary steps to help its students reach their goals.

History teacher David Fink was one of teachers that was excited to take on the challenge of teaching a new college level class. Fink said, “Student feedback is very important to me because they are the ones who know what works best for them.” Fink also stated, “I would love to see the school add more programs like this in the future if it works within the budget and the limited faculty.” Fink is just one of the teachers that devoted their time over the summer to become qualified to teach an Advanced Placement course. To become qualified to teach an Advanced Placement class, one must have either a master’s degree or at least eighteen hours of training in the specific courses.

Guidance counselor Ann Davis has worked hard to make sure all of the Jonathan Alder students are able to take the college level courses they want and need. Davis said, “College level classes are a great way for students to become more prepared for college. Obtaining college credits while in high school is a great way to save lots and lots of money.”

The growing amount of students qualified and willing to take these classes should lead to a surplus of Advanced Placement and college level classes.