Tennis swings into season

Chloe Grove, Assistant Editor

PR 38     The Jonathan Alder girls tennis team has been training for their upcoming season which officially started on August 1. Under the teachings of coach Brett Fuller, the team is working on having their best season yet.

With their current record of 10-5, the girls are putting forth their best efforts to have a winning season. This year’s team consists of 15 athletes: seniors Brenna Holmberg, Jenna Mink, Alex Phinney, Keli Geers and Emily Meyers; juniors Chloe Grove, Cassidy Beachy and Cassie Troyer; sophomores Mikayla Holland, Olivia Moore and Maddie Vance; freshmen Sydney Winslow, Mary Kate Hipp, Nicole Mendez and Hannah Bair. Holmberg stated, “There’s no drama or problems on the team this year and we get along so well.”

The team often plays 22 regular season matches. Also, they participate in two tournaments, the MOAC tournament and the OHSAA tournament. The MOAC tournament will be played on September 19 and sectionals will start October 1. In season, they will typically play three to four matches a week.

The team’s biggest rivals are Marion Harding and Buckeye Valley. The two teams are ranked at the top of Alder’s league, but are said to be beatable. They currently practice every weekday they don’t have a match, except for Fridays. Their practices range from three o’clock to about five o’clock. The team believes they could be more successful if they practiced more often.

When asked who the leaders of the team are, Holmberg replied, “Personally I would consider myself a leader of the team, as well as Jenna and Chloe because we all try to help the other players, we are organized and work to get things done. We work our best at every match and support the other players as much as we can.”