Alder Track and Field prepares for the season

Emma Kennedy

Alder track athletes run on the Marysville High school track.

Adalynne Wilkin, Staff Writer

As we shift into spring sports, the track and field season begins. Some athletes are anticipating that this season will be better than the last, while others look forward to learning about track as the 2023 season goes into play. 

Will Jackson, a four-year track senior, expects the track team is ready to accomplish their goals.  “I expect the team and myself to be more successful. I think we are going to work harder,” he says.   

Being more successful, however, might be a challenge because of the new classification for the team.

”This season is going to be a little different since we’re [Division One] now,” says four-year track athlete and junior Helena O’Connor. “So the postseason will have a bit more competition, and we have some new coaches, but other than that I think it’s going to go well.” 

This year also brings in new track athletes, such as sophomore Audra McLean. “I joined track to help my mental health because I haven’t been doing so good and it helps me clear my mind,” she says.

Different athletes have different training schedules, depending on their events. 

“For jumps, just taking care of my legs, building up that strength so they can last the season and just getting my cardio in, getting my runs in, getting my heart rate up daily, for my runs,” says Jackson.  

Others, like O’Connor, start their season with indoor track. 

“So I guess my preseason is kind of like doing indoor track, cause that’s just conditioning leading up to outdoor track starting,” she says. “But..normally, I go to a pole vault club and I practice there and I just like, run on my own.”

No matter how much the preparation pays off during the season, athletes are looking forward to making memories. 

“Just the memories, it’s my last season like in high school,” Jackson says. “So I’m definitely going to focus on taking it all in, you know, soaking it all up, making memories with the guys I love, learning as much as I can, making connections, I look forward to coming back next year during spring break and helping the team work.”