NHS spruces up the Courtyard

JAHS+courtyard

JAHS courtyard

Logan Woods, Ad manager

The quality of the courtyard has drastically decreased in recent years due to an increase in untrimmed trees, overgrown vegetation, and limited maintenance. Jonathan Alder’s National Honors Society has teamed up with janitor Mark Syx to bring the courtyard back to its full potential. While no drastic changes have been put into place, a difference should be evident after the first day of work.

Syx stated, “I will mostly just be supervising the students and helping the students with the best way to prevent weeds and pests.” He also explained, “We want the courtyard to be more open, viewable from within the building, and usable for classes to enjoy. Students should notice a difference by October 5.” It is evident that minor changes like weeding, trimming trees and bushes, and planting spring bulbs and perennials will make a big difference in the way the courtyard is perceived by current students and any guests welcomed into Jonathan Alder High School.

Larger changes may be added in the future, but the Nation Honors Society members and Syx just want to focus on taking on the small problems that can make the courtyard look different. Vice Principal Mark Fenik said, “We may eventually get some additional picnic tables, but as far as I know weeding, trimming, and planting are the only changes.”

It will take time, but the students and faculty will eventually take notice of the updated look the NHS plans to bring to the courtyard.