The student news site of Jonathan Alder High School

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

JAHS girl’s golf swings through a successful season

Victoria Sanguino
JAHS girl’s golf team pose at their regular season match.

The Alder girls golf team just wrapped up the 2023 season placing first in the Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) postseason tournament. They also finished first in the CBC for the first time in school history, beating four-time conference winner Bellefontaine for the title. 

Girl’s Golf Coach Daryl Beachy explains that Bellefontaine has always been a tough competitor for Alder.

“Our concept for last year was pretty much the same as this year, kind of just to have fun first and honestly winning was kind of second. The CBC wasn’t something really talked about at all. We fell just short…losing to Belle

JAHS girl’s golf seniors (Victoria Sanguino)

fontaine twice. I feel like the same goes for this year except we were able to work harder and win.”

Senior golfer Sarah Sowers also says the team’s strategy was to focus on fun.

“We pretty much just went with our team theme to just have fun and play your game,” she says. “We all went out there and did our own thing.”

Beachy says that from June to August the girls practiced at least two days a week in preparation for the regular season and at least once a week for the postseason.

“The girls were very excited about our finish, and I told them it was their hard work throughout the summer and all the extra work that we did individually and as a team is why we got the results that we wanted,” he says.

Sowers has played golf at JAHS since her freshman year. Now as a senior she says that her expectations going into the season were to beat undefeated Bellefontaine.

“I knew it was going to be a tough season with Bellefontaine because we were pretty much on the same level,” she says, “but I did think we were going to come out on top and have an overall good season.” 

Beachy agrees that the season was a success, and adds that it was because of his players.

“There are nine girls that always came out and competed,” he says. “I know most athletes are that way but this group especially. Overall just an amazing group of kids.”