The student news site of Jonathan Alder High School

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

2023 Secret Santa gift guide

Maddie Saiter
Secret Santa graphic

If you celebrate Christmas, you might also partake in an annual secret santa. Whether it’s with your friends, classmates or coworkers, the stress of drawing the name of someone you don’t know very well or is hard to shop for is strenuous, and no one wants to be the loser who brings a gift card. Giving gifts is one of my all time favorite traditions during the holidays, so I’m kind of a pro when it comes to this. My hopes are that this guide will assist you in picking the perfect gift for any name that you draw. If it doesn’t help you, use any of these as your Christmas present to me.

2023 Secret Santa gift guide
Clean girl aesthetic

We all know at least one “clean girl.” They always have perfect, dewy skin and silky hair. Don’t even get me started on how exceptional they smell. This kind of girl needs a gift to keep up with her perfection.

Pimple patches: These are great for clean girls. They’re on the lower end of the price spectrum, and they are extremely useful for keeping up with that perfect skin. A brand I recommend is, “Mighty Patch.” They are available to purchase at Ulta Beauty for $12.99, but there are many other brands with a wide range of prices. 

Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub: For $10.49, the clean girl receiving this gift will get so much use out of it. How do you think she gets those buttery smooth legs? Exfoliation. You can purchase these Sugar Body Scrubs at a number of stores like Ulta Beauty, Target, Meijer and more. 

Glossier You Rollerball: As a girl who owns this perfume, it’s an essential part of my morning routine. You don’t have to worry about your clean girl not liking the scent, because according to the Glossier website, this perfume is, “Formulated as a skin-smell enhancer, our eau de parfum melts into skin for a scent that is uniquely yours.” That’s right! The perfume adapts to the user to make them smell absolutely luxurious. This perfume is on the pricier side of gifts going for $28, so it’s great for a secret santa with a high price range.

Music lovers

Don’t stress too much about what to get your music lover, as being one myself, we’re easy! We love anything that reminds us of our favorite artists. 

Records: If your music lover has a record player, they certainly want records. If you know either their general collection or music taste, there are many record stores in Columbus to browse through like Used Kids or Lost Weekend Records. Records can be anywhere from $10- $50, so they’re perfect for any secret santa price range. If you genuinely have no idea what their music taste is or you don’t want to buy them a record they might already have, record cleaning supplies are extremely helpful for keeping them in mint condition. You can purchase record cleaning supplies at record stores as well. 

Guitar picks/accessories: As a guitar player, I’m always losing picks, tuners, and capos. And I know I’m not the only one. You might feel slightly out of place in a guitar store if you’ve never been, but generally the Fender Heavy picks will do, and they’re popular among guitarists. Picks are fairly cheap, costing anywhere from $5- $10.

Posters: If your music lover has a room that looks anything like mine (as a fellow music lover), it’s filled with a bunch of posters, flags and other decorations on the wall. Posters can be purchased online or in music stores. Posters can be very unique, so if you dig deep you shouldn’t have to worry about getting them one that they already own. Posters can range in price from $10- $20.

Crafty folk

These people reach back into the most creative part of their brain all the time, so you should as well when purchasing a gift for them. Don’t take the easy route with pens. Trust me, they have enough. 

Diamond paintings: Diamond paintings are such a good activity for when you’re bored or stressed. You can purchase diamond paintings from a number of websites but also in stores like JOANN Fabric and Craft or Micheals. Diamond paintings can be pretty expensive ranging anywhere from $20-$40, but they're long lasting and can even serve as decoration. 

Sticker book: If your craft lover keeps a journal, they’ll definitely appreciate a new set of stickers. A great option for adult sticker books are the viral Anthology sticker books on Amazon. They have many options including Bees, birds and butterflies, plants, aquatic animals and plants, and one with fairies and fungi. These sticker books range in price from $14.22- $23.39. 

People who love relaxing

We all have that one friend with the optimal sleep over house. They have the comfiest beds and the cleanest rooms. These people are easy to shop for, so don’t stress! 

Silk pillowcase: The list of benefits that come from using a silk pillowcase grow every time I see a video about them. They’re great for hair and skin, and you’ll never have to worry about flipping your pillow to the cold side. You can purchase silk pillow cases on Amazon for $23.99. 

Throw blanket: Throw blankets come in all sizes, colors and designs. Chances are, this person loves to decorate, so go ahead, and get them a seasonal throw blanket to add to their collection. Throw blankets can be found anywhere from Kroger to Costco for a wide range of prices. Bonus points if you can find a matching throw pillow. 

Bath bombs: Personally, I love a good bath bomb. It’s like peak relaxation. Sure, there are cheap bath bombs that start at just a couple of dollars, but if you really want to spruce it up, take a trip to Lush. I’ve never met someone who isn’t completely obsessed with their products. If you’re not sure exactly what scent your secret santa likes, Lush has some pretty basic ones like Snow Fairy and Twilight. Go ahead and get yourself a little something while you’re there, too. Lush bath bombs are priced anywhere from $6.50- $10.50. 

People who are impossible to shop for

Let’s be honest, we all have that friend. It’s almost like they enjoy absolutely nothing, but I promise, they do. You just have to dig deep.

Candy: I mean, everyone loves candy (if you don’t, you probably don’t like Christmas anyway). If you have a general idea of what they like, put together an “emergency candy kit.” Honestly, just stock them up. Full size, fun size, or even family size will satisfy that sweet tooth. You can even make it cute with a reusable basket or case. This gift is perfect for any price range, you could do anything from a single candy bar or one of each candy bar, it’s up to you to personalize it for them. 

Grooming supplies: Chances are, this person is running out of their favorite dry shampoo, hair gel, or soap. Take a trip to your local Kroger or Walmart and stock them up on all of the essentials. Even if you have to resort to deodorant, this kind of person will most likely appreciate it.

Hopefully this guide will help you bring something other than a gift card to your annual secret Santa. Until then, happy holidays!

View Comments (1)