• The Pioneer Press is now on Twitter and Instagram! Follow us @JAHS_News!

The Pioneer Press

Spooktober Feels

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spooktober Feels

Chaz Phinney, Tech Editor

Halloween is one of the greatest times of the year, where people celebrate fear and general spookiness. Scary movies and stories are a great way to enjoy the holiday with a friend or by yourself. In case you need some ideas for this year’s Spooktober, here are my top 5 books and movies to watch at Halloween ( no spoilers):

5)     The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe: Despite not being much of a reader, this story is a more manageable size to me, as it’s only about a 15-20 minute read. For those of you out there who are like me, and don’t like to read that much, you can always look up a Youtube video of someone reading it out loud. The story is scary more in a psychological type of horror, focusing on how a lonely man and a raven that visits him one night.

4)     The Tell-Tale Heart, also by Edgar Allan Poe. Anyone who has taken American Lit with Mr. Hughes will have read this story by now, but I believe it’s still worth the re-read. The main character is certifiably insane, and the story has a similar feeling to Poe’s previous mention. The story is about the same length as The Raven, and while it will probably not scare you, It’ll probably give you chills.

3)      IT, the movie: It’s good to mention that this is the most recent movie (2017). I watched this movie opening night, and it was very much worth it. It built up tension fast and had me on the edge of my seat. Despite being someone who doesn’t scare from movies, I thought it was very exciting, and enjoyed myself. It doesn’t rely on jump scares to try and surprise the audience, which was a very nice change of pace.

2)      The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft. Despite being a fan of Lovecraft, this is the only book he has that actually gave me chills. It starts off slow, and slowly build up the tension until the end, where it goes full psycho. After finishing this story, you’ll be left with a creeping feeling of “what the actual heck did I just read?” It is also a short story and can be finished fairly quickly. It is well worth the read, in my opinion.

1)      The Nightmare Before Christmas. This is the movie that first got me into scary stuff as a child. The movie is honestly not scary at all and is by far the least horrific on the list. (It is a kids movie, after all.) However, what places it so high on the list is its status as a classic. It’s old, and many people grew up with it. Despite that, it is still fun to watch on Halloween–or at the very least, have it playing in the background.

If you haven’t seen or read any of these, it’s practically a must for this year. I can almost promise you will enjoy them. Halloween is on Wednesday, so make sure it’s extra spooky this year!

Which of Chaz's Top 5 is your favorite?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Chaz Phinney, Editor in Chief

Chaz is a Senior at Jonathan Alder. He is exceptionally lazy and forgetful and spends most of his time sleeping or playing Warframe.