Show choir season ends on a high note

Tiffany Eudaily

Show choir poses with trophy.

Maggie Storts, Staff Writer, Editor

The Jonathan Alder High Society Show Choir took the stage for the last time this season on Saturday at Teays Valley High School. The High Society placed 3rd overall and won runner-up for the best band and best vocals awards, despite some instrumental difficulties in the first round of competition. 

The show’s “Dream” concept opens with a sleeping senior Madeline Freyhof and follows as she navigates sequin-studded dreams and even nightmares to the tunes of “Mr. Sandman” by Pat Ballard, ”You Make my Dreams Come True” by Hall & Oates “Moondance” by Van Morrison, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” by Eurythmics, ”Call it Dreaming” by Iron & Wine, and “Sweet Dreams” by Beyonce.

Soloists included Freyhof herself, who won “Best Performer” of the choir, as well as senior Evan Stage and junior Fiona Petticrew, junior Alex Rodriguex, and senior Megan Krummrey. There were also featured parts by senior Sophia Shaefer, junior Carsyn Pauly, junior Tori Manring, junior Reis Mason, and junior Sarah Chin. 

Although the choir placed at their last competition, the “Dream” theme was not the most loved by some choir members. 

”The theme is not our best and it’s causing us to not win,” junior and performer Reis Mason says, “it’s just hard to understand.”

The choir had yet to qualify for the final round of any of their competitions before Saturday. 

“I didn’t like [the theme] at first, but it’s kind of grown on me as a cool concept. I think we did a good job with it,” freshman and band member Leah Polsinelli says.

Despite the ups and downs of the season, the members still took away lessons from their performances. 

“It definitely helps me get better at my instrument and, just in general, I met a lot of people and it’s just a different experience,” Polsinelli says.

This season follows some historically successful show choir seasons. In the 2021-22 season, the “Now Boarding” travel theme won the choir many “Best Costume” awards and a 2nd place finish at the Teays Valley competition.

“Last season our theme was a lot better and more understood, which helped us almost win last year,” Mason says, “it’s going to be better next year and they’ll learn from our mistakes.”