Physics Plane or Physical Pain?

Olivia Johnson, School News Reporter

Over winter break, Doc Lorson’s physics classes were assigned to build a model plane. Many students dreaded this time-consuming, 150 point project. Doc instructed his classes not to procrastinate on building their plane as the project is roughly a 12 hour build, NOT including glue drying time. Keep in mind that the average wood glue should be let dry for at least half an hour, but longer is recommended.  Overall, students had deeply mixed feeling about the project.

Senior Sara Dickey hated the project as it took up much of her winter break, and the construction of her plane was extremely frustrating. Dickey’s plane ruptured during its second flight from the mezzanine in the main gym. Dickey said that watching her own plane break was actually surprisingly satisfying.

Junior Emily Haskins actually enjoyed the project, saying that flying the plane and seeing everyone’s hard work and creativity made the project worth the effort. Though at times her plane needed repairs, the plane stayed intact and ended up flying the furthest distance of the year. Haskins shared some advice for next year’s physics students, warning them not to procrastinate and to “take the time to be proud of the final product.”

Haskins’s plane went the furthest this year with a distance of 90 feet. Senior Brandon Dembek was the runner-up with a distance of 73 feet, and senior Gregory Flowers’s plane went the third farthest with a distance of 72 feet.