Curriculum Night at Alder

Ali Cody, School News Editor

When first walking into the building, the lobby of Jonathan Alder High School was crowded with angsty, soon-to-be high school freshmen and their parents.

The walls were lined with tables featuring clubs and classes such as Spanish Club, French Club, Marching Band, Computer and  Graphics, Video Production, Science, and Virtual Reality.

At 6:30pm, Principal Michael Aurin, Counselor Cindy Wolfe, and Counselor Ann Davis commenced a presentation for the parents and future students in the auditeria to talk about General High School Information, Credit Flexibility, College Credit Plus, Graduation Requirements, and Course Advisement.

When the presentation initiated, Aurin spoke first by saying, “Tonight is about informing you,”  which is inarguably accurate. It was roughly a 40 minute presentation, filling the students with information that will make sure they are prepared when going to high school next school year. Aurin began talking about credits, classes, and typical schedules.

Then, Davis took over and talked about the “individualized” option that is College Credit Plus and credit flexibility, speaking about how students can get college credit and high school credit at the same time.

Lastly, Mrs. Wolfe spoke about course advisement, which explained possible options of classes for the majority of students.  When the curriculum night came to a close, parents departed to take a second look at the tables along the hall.