JAHS volleyball advances to state championship

Jenna Mink, Editor

IMG_7883Kayla Fredendall
Undefeated JAHS volleyball advanced to the next round after a 5-2 win over 23-5 Bishop Fenwick. Division II Jonathan Alder and Bishop Fenwick dueled for the State Semi-Final title and to advance onto the State Championship. Bishop Fenwick was ranked 829 nationally and 47 in Ohio. The game was on November 12 at 6 PM at Wright State’s Nutter Center in Fairborn, Ohio.

Students, staff and fans lined the players’ route as they were escorted out of Plain City by police and fire squads on Thursday afternoon. Many members of the Plain City community also made the drive to Fairborn to support the volleyball team. Even the student section was impressive and included students from all ages and grades.  The theme for the student section was a blackout and featured some interesting costumes worn by seniors Shane Blacka and Aaron Kaiser.

The State Championship will be held on Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 1 PM at the Nutter Center in Fairborn, Ohio. Jonathan Alder will be going up against Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin. Notre Dame-Cathedral is currently 24-3 and is ranked 103 nationally and 5 in Ohio. Meanwhile, Jonathan Alder is currently undefeated and is nationally ranked 192 and 10 in Ohio. When asked what she expects for the game on Saturday, senior Natalie Regula explained, “I think it’s going to be a hard fought game. NDCL has the experience of going to the state finals. If we come out from the beginning with confidence and swinging around the block I think we can shut them down.”