Community Support Coalition works to help students

Logan Woods, Ad manager

The Jonathan Alder Community Support Coalition met on January 20 to discuss ways to continue bringing the school and the community of Plain City closer together. The four main goals of the coalition are to gain an understanding of community agency roles, responsibilities, and expectations in response to community crisis, to discern immediate community needs and long term prevention and support, to facilitate enhanced communication and shared resources for wrapping around our children and families, and to share expertise in educating our children and families about mental health, suicide preventions, and bullying.

Jonathan Alder’s Superintendent, and member of the Coalition, Gary Chapman, said, “The community support group was established last February and consists of over 30 representatives from our school board, district administration and student services, area mental health agencies, Plain City fire and police forces, village administration, medical groups, area churches, and Jonathan Alder High School student leadership.”

The support group is always looking for resources that can help students overcome difficult and sudden tragedies that any student may face. The group has been providing leadership in helping Jonathan Alder take care of their students and the community’s mental health needs and overall wellbeing.

The next scheduled meeting for the coalition is on Wednesday, March 16 at 9:00 a.m. More information on the resources available for students can be found on the district website under “Our Parents” and “Our Community.” The list will continue to be updated as a wider variety of resources become available.