Alder football rolls Marysville in week 1

Matthew Seimer, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in four years, the Pioneer football team brought home a win against the Monarchs of Marysville High School. On August 26, the Pioneers headed to Marysville for their Friday night matchup. In a one-sided game, the Pioneers manhandled the Monarchs for all four quarters, beating them 35 to 10.

After two scores in the first quarter, the Pioneer offense never let up and scored a touchdown in each of the three following quarters. The offensive effort was spearheaded by senior wide receiver Trey Pugh, who scored 4 touchdowns for Alder. Senior wide receiver Andrew Koenig also scored for the Pioneers, on a touchdown reception from junior quarterback Preston Eisnaugle. Eisnaugle also had another touchdown pass to Pugh in the fourth quarter, alongside with a pair of impressive third down scrambles.

Despite the dominance on offense for Alder, their defense stole the show. Despite one field goal in the first quarter, the Pioneer’s starting defense did not give up a single point. Junior outside linebacker Bryan Blacka had a remarkable game, taking possession from the Monarchs on three different occasions. The Monarchs scored their lone touchdown with ten seconds left in the fourth quarter against Alder’s third string defense.

The Pioneers look to continue their dominance in another non-conference game in week two against Zanesville as the Monarchs try to bounce back against Delaware Hayes.