Volleyball goes back to back in District Championships

Jonathan+Alders+volleyball+team+celebrate+their+victory+at+the+2016+district+championship.+

submitted

Jonathan Alder’s volleyball team celebrate their victory at the 2016 district championship.

Alexa Hasting, Sports Reporter

The Lady Pioneers became District Dhampions on Saturday, October 29 when they beat the Granville Aces three sets to one (25-22,25-19,14-25,25-20). Corinne Parker led the Pioneers with 14 kills, while Julie Jakse picked up 20 digs and Abby Jester had 4 service aces to lead the team to victory. The volleyball team then faced John Glenn on Wednesday, November 2 and fell short in four sets. Which means, unfortunately, the tournament run is over for the Lady Pioneers.

Some players on the team received awards for their great efforts this season. Seniors Alexa Hasting and Maddie Fuller were recognized as first team All-MOAC and first team All- Central District. Senior Julie Jakse was also recognized as first team All-MOAC and second team All-District. Second team All-MOAC consisted of junior Samantha Durbin and sophomore Corinne Parker. Sophomore Kortney Reynolds was recognized as honorable mention for the MOAC, while Corinne Parker was also mentioned as honorable mention for the District.

Although the Pioneers ended their tournament run earlier than expected, senior Julie Jakse said, “This season taught me how to be a leader and put 100% effort into everything I do.”