Alder dazzles crowds with ‘Mary Poppins’

Mr.+Banks+%28Grayson+Abend%29%2C+Mrs.+Banks+%28Sydney+Winslow%29%2C+as+Jane+and+Michael+Banks+%28Emily+Wheelbarger+and+Lincoln+Wilson%29.+

Kayla Fredendall

Mr. Banks (Grayson Abend), Mrs. Banks (Sydney Winslow), as Jane and Michael Banks (Emily Wheelbarger and Lincoln Wilson).

Megan Gordin, Editor-in-Chief

As the cast of this year’s musical, Mary Poppins, wraps up another highly successful production, audiences continue to comment on the show’s wow factor and the cast’s stellar performance. The show was produced and choreographed by Mrs. Anne Gorman and Mr. Scott Jones. Cast and crew members performed the show five different times from April 6 to April 10, including one dinner theater and one show specifically for JAHS students.

Sophomore Hunter Larison took on the title role. Larison beautifully executed both the high soprano voice and quirky personality of Mary Poppins. She described her experience as one she would not forget: “There were so many amazing people in the musical and I wouldn’t trade those friendships for the world.” Larison also explained how she had to expand her vocal range and constantly stay hydrated in order to portray Mary Poppins without straining her voice. She gives her thanks to the directors and her parents for their unwavering support.

Mr. George Banks, another featured persona, was played by junior Grayson Abend. Abend nailed the stern, stubborn character of Mr. Banks. His favorite aspect of the production was how quickly the group became a family. He admitted that he did have some challenges memorizing his lines, music and stage directions. “I can’t wait for next year! I am so excited to see who else will get to step up and take a bigger role,” Abend also mentioned. He is glad the long nights of practice are over, but will miss making memories with fellow cast members.

Other lead roles included sophomore Sydney Winslow as Mrs. Winifred Banks, senior Hunter Eudaily as Bert, senior Emma Hawkins as Miss Andrew and elementary students Emily Wheelbarger and Lincoln Wilson as Jane and Michael Banks. The cast was completed with plenty of singers and dancers who came together to create large, extravagant numbers, including the notorious Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Kayla Fredendall
Hunter Larison playing Mary Poppins. Emily Wheelbarger and Lincoln Wilson as Jane and Michael Banks.
Kayla Fredendall
Emma Hawkins playing Miss Andrews in the musical, Mary Poppins.