New school year brings change to Alder

Katie Grigsby, School News Editor

With the beginning of a new school year comes many changes to Jonathan Alder.

This year, the official homeroom period has been switched. Instead of being first period, homeroom will now be considered your second period class. Attendance for the day will be taken during that period.

The way the guidance counselors are divided has also been changed. Instead of being organized by class, the counselor students go to is now determined with alphabetical order by last name. Now, A-K will have Mrs. Wolfe, and L-Z will have Ms. Davis. Using this system, every student will have the same guidance counselor all four years of high school.

The school also welcomes four new teachers this year: Ms. Kristi Loy, who has taken over the position that Ms. Brar held previously; Ms. Maren Oehl, who has taken the place of Mr. Fink; and finally Mr. Nicholas Mayes, who has claimed the massive role that Mrs. Gorman previously held. Ms. Jennifer Korn has joined us as the new Social Services Director. The Pioneer Press hopes the new teachers enjoy their time here.

Along with new teachers, the auditorium has gotten new tables, which has been met with a lackluster to highly negative response from the student body. “They look better, but the chairs were easier to maneuver around and a lot more comfortable,” says junior Isabel White.

Finally, four exchange students have come to Jonathan Alder High School this year. Plain City welcomes the students from Norway, Sweden, Germany, and Spain.

Good luck in the new school year, Alder!