XC Previews the Regional

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

This past Saturday, the Jonathan Alder Cross Country team traveled to Pickerington North High School, the host of the team’s regional race.

The team recently decided to run at the Panther Invitational this season in much anticipation that the two teams would be running there in late October.

On the boys side, sophomore Luke Malone raced to a 9th place finish, running a 16:36. Sophomore Gavin Frick and senior Jase Headings quickly followed, placing 18th and 20th respectively.

Sophomore Michael Gray and freshman Brady Corbitt rounded out the team’s top five, both running for personal bests.

The team pulled off a string of upsets, placing 3rd in a competitive field of 26. The team entered the week ranked 17th in the OATCCC Coaches Rankings, hoping to climb in the following weeks.

On the girls side, junior Ashlyn McDaniel raced to personal best, 19:51, placing 11th. Freshman Maddie Davis and Morgan Hicks followed just behind McDaniel, placing 12th and 13th.

Senior Lexi Thorpe and freshman Avery Hecht rounded out the team’s top five.

The team was projected to place 2nd but failed to live up to expectations in another competitive field. The team placed 4th in a field of 19. The team dropped out of the OATCCC Coaches Rankings last week and hopes to re enter the frame in the coming weeks.

The team races next in one of the fastest course in the state, at the Marion Harding Invitational.