Mayes announces upcoming production

Megan Gordin, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, October 19, choir director Mr. Nicholas Mayes announced the 2018 musical. He selected Seussical: The Musical, a collection of stories from the legendary Dr. Seuss including The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Leading up to the announcement, Mayes would give students clues and list many different musicals on the board for students to make guesses. One clue was a picture of a cat, and some of the names of musicals he listed were The Music Man, Lion King, and Cats. Students were thrown for a loop when Seussical: The Musical was written underneath a sheet of paper, out of sight, on the board.

After school on Thursday, Mayes held an informational meeting in his classroom to discuss audition dates and how the process will work, and also how to become a backstage crew member or a member of the chorus. Wednesday, December 13, Mayes and choreographer Mr. Scott Jones will hold dance auditions, where students will learn dances with small groups of other students. Mayes will judge their ability to learn choreography and their ability to accept criticism.

The following day, Mayes will hold an audition to judge vocals and reading music. Students will sing different parts, such as alto, soprano, and bass, and they will be judged on how well they can blend their voices with others. Callbacks will then be held on Friday, December 15 and Monday, December 17. The final cast list will be posted on Tuesday, December 18.