Indoor Track shines at OSU

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

Although the season is still young, the Jonathan Alder Indoor Track team is not waiting long for improvement. Over the course of 2 weeks, the team is improving at a rapid pace.

The high expectations that the team has entered the season with have risen and many runners are now eyeing the OATCCC Indoor State Championship on March 3rd.

Senior Jase Headings has been Alder’s most featured runner throughout the indoor season and continues to be featured in big time races.

Headings took on sophomore Malachi McGill, 2017 D1 State Champion, in the 800m. The highly anticipated matchup did not disappoint. McGill raced to a victory, running a 1:59.73. Headings placed second, 2:02.05.

The boys 4x800m team stepped up to a challenge and delivered, placing 3rd in a competitive field. Alongside Headings, sophomores Luke Malone, Gavin Frick, and Zach Hicks moved closer to qualifying for the State Championship.

In the 3200m, Malone and Frick both ran to impressive times, running a 10:22 and 10:25 respectively. Both runners are looking forward to the Spire indoor meet, hoping to inch closer to qualifying for the State Championship.

Sophomore Michael Gray ran in the 3200m and ran to a 10:37. Sophomore Zach Hicks and freshman Caleb Freyhof ran in the 400m and ran a 60.54 and 65.05 respectively.

For the girls, senior Lexi Thorpe and freshman Maddie Davis ran very well, placing 9th and 10th in the 800m. The two ran in the second heat but finished better than a lot of the runners in the first.

Freshman Morgan Hicks raced to a 5th place finish in the 3200m, running a 12:16. Junior Maddy Killian placed 21st in the 400m.

In the 60m, sophomore Emily Walker placed 5 spots from qualifying for the championship heat in only her second race. In the high jump, Donna Seminishin placed 3rd, with an impressive 4-10.

The team runs next at the Spire Institute on February 3, in the team’s final chance to qualify for the Milesplit Spire Institute Invitational.