• The Pioneer Press is now on Twitter and Instagram! Follow us @JAHS_News!

The Pioneer Press

Foreign language takes over Jonathan Alder schools

Mr. Glatz

Mr. Glatz

Skylier Beachy, Photographer

Learning a foreign language can be both difficult as well as exciting for many eager students. Jonathan Alder provides two different foreign languages, French and Spanish.

Normally, Spanish is the more attractive decision for students. That is the reason why the school has had one french teacher and two Spanish teachers. Spanish has many students ranging from Spanish one to Spanish four. Jonathan Alder now makes it possible to challenge your knowledge with AP Spanish four.

Jessica Flere and Lindsay Dollinger, Jonathan Alder’s Spanish teachers, also offer Spanish club. Spanish club is where students participate in Spanish activities, have an all nighter, order fun tee shirts, and also order Chipotle from time to time. The club meets every Friday after school. Spanish is also challenging eighth graders who are now able to take Spanish one at the junior high school.

In years past, French has been the third language next to English and Spanish. Sometimes there has been only six to eight students in the French four classes! This year there has been a huge rise in students interested in French. Alder’s French teacher John Glatz said, “In French I classes I have 31 students in two of them, and 30 in the other.  In French two and three I roughly have 25 students in each class.” stated Glatz who was very excited about all the new kids interested in french. “I am excited to have so many students.  I enjoy getting to know so many students in different grade levels.”

When Glatz was asked if the rise in students changed the way he teaches his classes he said, “The rise in my number of students does mean that I can’t call on individuals more than I used to.  I still try to do the same .things in my classes that I have done in the past.” He will generally get every student involved once or twice in class to make sure that they know what is going on and to keep their attention to him at all times.

French club is always an exciting way to end your week. “French Club has roughly about 30 students in it.  We have already elected officers:  Jake McGloughlin: President,  Jenna Mink: Vice President, Kayla Iwamoto: Secretary, and Rachel Kaeser: Treasurer.” French one student Lyndsey Lovejoy gave her input on the rise in French students, “ I don’t mind all the kids in the class. Mr. Glatz is a very good teacher and will give us the knowledge we need in order to succeed in french.”

About the Writer
Skylier Beachy, Sports Reporter

Skylier Beachy is a senior at Jonathan Alder High School. He enjoys playing basketball and hanging out with friends. This is his second year on the newspaper...