Girls’ basketball starts off strong

Tori Walker, Billing Manager

GIRLSBBALLPR     Basketball season is finally here, and the Jonathan Alder Lady Pioneers came out with a bang. This year’s varsity team consists of seniors Morgan Foster, Alivia Milesky, Taylor Gaerke, Autumn Devine, Tori Walker, Brenna Holmberg; and junior Lillian Hess;  sophomores Peyton Mast, McKenna Huff, Emily Davis; and freshman Corinne Parker. The Lady Pioneers are coached by Bob Wehner, assistant coach Jason Hess and assistant coach Mindy Eisnaugle.

The captains for this 2015-2016 season are Morgan Foster, Tori Walker, Taylor Gaerke and Lillian Hess. Senior captain Morgan Foster shared her opinions on this year’s team with “The Pioneer Press”, “I’m really excited for this season. I think we could be a really great team if we pull everything together and use our abilities to work as a team.”

Every year the girls start their season out at the Skeeter Classic Tournament at Urbana High School. The Lady Pioneers beat Mechanicsburg High School with a high scoring game of 78 to 54. This victory took them to the championship game where they faced Urbana High School. It was a battle between the two teams for the championship, but the Lady Pioneers pulled through with a 50 to 48 victory.

To finish off the Lady Pioneers’ opening week, the girls played their first league game against Fairbanks High School. Fairbanks is a similar match up when it comes to height, but the Lady Pioneers had more talent getting the ‘W’ with a final score of 45 to 33.

The Lady Pioneers had a very successful first week. Although there is always room for improvement. Wehner stated, “We need to increase our skill levels at rebounding, free throws, and on defense.”

Week two for the Lady Pioneers included two league games against Marion Harding High School and Marion Pleasant High School. Wehner says how he prepares his team for a good competition, “We try to neutralize their strengths and do what we do best.  I talk to the girls so they understand their role and our expectations.” Marion Harding senior guard, Fallyn Stephens, averages 22 points a game. The Lady Pioneers held Stephens to scoring only five points, which helped contribute to the Pioneers’ win. The girls traveled to Marion Pleasant for their last game of the week. Pleasant, with two girls above six foot, definitely had the height advantage over the Pioneers. It was a hard fought battle; however, the Lady Pioneers fell short with a final score of 45 to 56.

This week the Lady Pioneers play Monday, December 7 at Shekinah, starting at 6:00 pm, Tuesday, December 8 at Jonathan Alder High School against Bishop Ready starting at 7:30 pm and a league game on Friday, December 11 at Jonathan Alder High School against River Valley High School starting at 7:30 pm.