The student news site of Jonathan Alder High School

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

The Pioneer Press

The NFL Conference championship ends with unsurprising results

A+football+field+with+graphics+of+a+defensemen+and+running+back.+
Caitlyn Feay
A football field with graphics of a defensemen and running back.

In my opinion, this week of football was very underwhelming. Both the teams who made it into the Superbowl have already gone, and even played against each other in 2020, so I feel like the results are going to be boring whoever comes out on top. 

Kansas City Chiefs at Baltimore Ravens:

Now, I didn’t watch this game entirely, but occasionally saw the big plays. I wasn’t too excited this year with the AFC championship, because not much scoring was happening at all, especially with Baltimore having such an uninteresting performance. 

The highlight of the game was when Quarterback Lamar Jackson threw the ball, but it bounced off a KC defender and Jackson picked it back up and ran for more yards with it. It was one of the first times I had seen that happen. 

Another memorable moment was tight end Travis Kelce breaking the record for postseason receptions. He has had 156 in 21 postseason games. He also still has the Superbowl to play, so any additional receptions will add to his lead. 

The game ended 17-10, with KC taking the win. The Baltimore team showed their frustration on the sideline, but I completely understand it when you’re so close to the Superbowl.

Although the game wasn’t as memorable as I was expecting, I can hope the Chiefs will put on a spectacular Superbowl performance. Since the team has gone to the Superbowl five times with Patrick Mahomes being the QB, I am expecting the team to play well and hopefully put on a good show. 

Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers:

Oh man this game. Detroit really had a lot of America behind their backs, due to them being the underdog and never having a Superbowl performance. The Lions were so strong at the start at the game, but declined as the game went on. 

Detroit started with a 14 point lead in the first quarter. When San Francisco would score, Detroit would score more. They ended the first half with a 17 point lead. Many 49ers fans had lost hope, but they wouldn’t have to worry for too long. 

In the second half, the 49ers immediately got to work offensively, catching up to the Lions. While the offense caught up, San Francisco’s defense came up well, making sure the Lions couldn’t score anymore. Eventually the Lions had a good couple of downs, and had made it to San Francisco’s 30-yard line. They were on 4th down, but instead of kicking a field goal, they gambled and went for it. Of course, the worst happened for Detroit and they failed to get it. 

This is the one issue I had with Detroit. They have a very solid team, but you shouldn’t be gambling in a playoff game. The fate of your entire team making the Superbowl was on the line, and that is a choice that had horrible consequences. 

They have a very solid team, but you shouldn’t be gambling in a playoff game.

The Lions actually were able to slowly catch up, needing to retrieve the ball from an onside kick, and score a field goal in order to last-minute tie the game. San Francisco was able to recover the on-side kick which ended the game 34-31. This made me wonder, if they had ended up kicking the ball, would the outcome have been different? Could they have tied the game? Detroit’s kicker Michael Badgley has made 100% of his kicks, although he hasn’t kicked as many as other kickers. I feel like he would have made it from 30 yards. 

Conclusion: 

Here we are, at the end of another football season. With just the Superbowl to go, we’re bound to see two exciting and high scoring teams play, so I am ready to see these two go head to head on February 11.