Girls basketball finishes strong

Girls basketball finishes strong

Tori Walker, Billing Manager

The regular season ended, and the post season seemed to just be getting started before it ended for the Lady Pioneers. The girls were seeded 12 out of 21 teams for the OHSAA division II tournament. The Lady Pioneers were set to play the 14 seed, Licking Valley High school, for the sectional semi-final game. Being the higher seed, the Lady Pioneers had every intention on winning their first tournament game, and thus they did. The final score to put the Pioneers in the sectional championship game was 66 to 31.

The Lady Pioneers were now the underdogs as they faced the 11 seed, Granville High School, for the sectional championship game. The first two minutes of the game did not look so good for the Pioneers as they had four turnovers and let the Blue Aces get up on them by nine points. That meant nothing to the Pioneers as they settled down, kept control of the ball, and made their comeback. It was then a Cinderella story as the underdog Pioneers defeated Granville 51 to 42.

The next game would be the last of the season for the Lady Pioneers. The girls faced the number one seed, Eastmoor Academy High School. Senior guard Taylor Gaerke explained what went wrong for the Pioneers, “We kept getting caught in the double team and unfortunately that resulted in too many turnovers to come back from.” It was a tough loss for the Lady Pioneers with a final score of 44 to 65.

The Lady Pioneers ended their season with an overall record of 12 and 13. Alivia Milesky received First Team All-Conference, Lily Hess received Second Team All-Conference and Gaerke received Honorable Mention All-Conference.