Cross Country races by North Union

Gavin Frick, Editor in Chief

The postseason is just around the corner for the Cross Country program, and with just a few meets left before districts, runners are trying to prove themselves as regional contenders. With just 4 weeks left, many of the program’s best stepped up to the plate this past Saturday at the North Union Invitational.

The high school girls team was without its state champion, Aziza Ayoub, who was visiting the Iowa University for the week. Sophomore Ashlyn McDaniel stepped up for the Pioneers, placing 8th out of 112 runners. McDaniel finished running a 21:41. Freshman Jenna Keiffer finished next with a 25:45. Sophomores Lauryn Saxour and MarySara Albert followed running a 27:27 and a 28:28 respectively. Freshman Rachel Berry quickly followed running a 29:06. The girls finished in 10th out of 11 beating out Worthington Christian by a big 35 points. The Pioneers excitedly await Aziza’s return to the course next Saturday at Johnstown Monroe.

On the high school boys side freshman Gavin Frick finished first on the team running a 17:36 and placing 7th out of 151 runners. Freshman Luke Malone also had a strong performance running a 17:45 and placing 11th overall. Freshman Zach Hicks and Michael Gray finished 27th and 34th, running a 18:48 and a 19:06 respectively. Junior Cole Schrock finished next running a 20:14 placing 57th overall. Sophomores Jordan Herrick and Jacob Koenig and senior Jack Berry followed running a 20:29, a 20:43, and a 20:50. The boys team continues its string of mediocre performances placing 5th of 11 teams. The program looks ahead to its next meet at Johnstown Monroe.